Some problems with conic sections

In summary, the conversation discusses solving conic questions involving ellipses and hyperbolas. The first question asks for the new general term of an ellipse after a translation, and the second question asks for the equation of a hyperbola with specific characteristics. The expert summarizer explains the steps to solve these problems and provides additional tips for solving them. The output only includes the summary of the conversation.
Mspike6
Here are some conic questions that am having problems with :

1) The general form of a particular ellipse is show Below. If the conic is translated 2 units left and 1 unit down, determine the new general term.

2x2+y2-2x+3y-9=0
Solution,
i figureed that we will have to convert this to Sandard form so we can apply the Trans;ations.

2x2-2x y2-3y=0

Then we need to complete the squares

2(x2-x+[tex]\frac{1}{4}[/tex]) + (y2-3y+[tex]\frac{9}{4}[/tex])=9+1/2+9/4

When i divided the whole thing by 11.75 so i can get 1 on the Right hand side, a fractions come up on the right hand side, and i just can't get it to the Standard form of the elipse

2) Find the equation of a hyperbola in standard form or general form, that has its centre at (-2, 5), one vertex at (-2, 10), and the slope of one of its asymptotes is 5/4 .

Solution:
I drew the Hyperbola so i can imagine it, and i guessed that a = 5 since the center point is at (-2,5) and the Vertex is at (-2,10)

The slops are b/a and -b/a
So it should be b/5 not b/4

aint what am saying right ?

Physics news on Phys.org

The standard equation of ellipse becomes
(x - 1/2)^2/(47/8) + (y-3/2)^2/(47/4) = 1

Whats the question?

Sorry, i meant to ask if what i did is correct , or is there something am missing ?

Mspike6 said:
Here are some conic questions that am having problems with :

1) The general form of a particular ellipse is show Below. If the conic is translated 2 units left and 1 unit down, determine the new general term.

2x2+y2-2x+3y-9=0
There is no need to convert to standard form. "Translating 2 units left" is exactly the same as adding 2 to x. "Translating one unit down" is exactly the same as subtracting 1 from y. Replace x by x+2 and y by y- 1.

2) Find the equation of a hyperbola in standard form or general form, that has its centre at (-2, 5), one vertex at (-2, 10), and the slope of one of its asymptotes is 5/4 .
Rotating through an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] gives [itex]x'= x cos(\theta)+ y sin(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y'= x sin(\theta)- y cos(\theta)[/itex]. Replace x by [itex]x cos(\theta)+ y sin(\theta)[/itex], y by [itex]x sin(\theta)- y cos(\theta)[/itex]. [itex]\theta= arctan(5/4)[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
There is no need to convert to standard form. "Translating 2 units left" is exactly the same as adding 2 to x. "Translating one unit down" is exactly the same as subtracting 1 from y. Replace x by x+2 and y by y- 1.

Rotating through an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] gives [itex]x'= x cos(\theta)+ y sin(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y'= x sin(\theta)- y cos(\theta)[/itex]. Replace x by [itex]x cos(\theta)+ y sin(\theta)[/itex], y by [itex]x sin(\theta)- y cos(\theta)[/itex]. [itex]\theta= arctan(5/4)[/itex].

Thanks a lot ! :D
really appreciate it

Related to Some problems with conic sections

1. What are conic sections?

Conic sections are geometric shapes formed by the intersection of a cone and a plane. They include circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas.

2. What are some common problems encountered with conic sections?

Some problems that may arise when working with conic sections include finding the equation of a conic section, determining its center and foci, and finding the points of intersection between multiple conic sections.

3. How are conic sections used in real life?

Conic sections have many practical applications, including in astronomy for describing the orbits of planets and other celestial bodies, in engineering for designing parabolic reflectors, and in architecture for creating domes and arches.

4. What is the difference between a directrix and a focus in a conic section?

The directrix is a fixed line that is used to define a conic section, while the focus is a fixed point that is used to define the shape of the conic section. In a circle, the directrix and focus coincide at the center.

5. How do you solve problems involving conic sections?

Solving problems involving conic sections typically involves using algebraic equations, geometric properties, and the principles of calculus. It is important to carefully analyze the given information and choose the appropriate method for solving the problem.