Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Some Pet Peeves

soroban

Feb 2, 2012

Ever see coffee mugs in a gift shop with musical symbols on them?

Some of them were designed by someone who knew nothing about music.
There are quarter notes with the stems on the wrong side.
There are eighth notes with the flags on the wrong side.
They insert [tex]\sharp[/tex] and [tex]\flat[/tex] at random.

If you were to manufacture a million of these coffee mugs and distribute
them around the world, wouldn't it be reasonable to consult some who
can actually read music to make the designs?

The same goes for Asian characeters.
Very few of us can read those characters, but we can tell when someone
is "faking" them.. It's usually an ugly scribble with slashes and dots.
Why not ask an authority for the symbols for "Happiness" and "Wealth"?

Even worse are those with math symbols (allegedly).
Anyone past 8th grade knows better than to suggest: $+\;x\;-\;2\;\div\;\sqrt{} $

Movies

What director told the leading man, "Remember, you're a world-class conductor.
So hold your arms in front of you, but don't move your arms. Point your index
fingers upward and swing them from side to side."

What another director told an actor, "Remember, you're a world-class violinist.
So grab the bow your right fist and saw back and forth across the violin."

The worst I ever saw was in "The Benny Goodman Story", a biopic of the great
jass clainetist. . Steve Allen, a very talented man, played Benny Goodman.
He even took clarinet lessons and played very good jazz himself. .But in one
particular scene, "Benny" was in front of his band, wailing on his solo. .I just
happened to glance at the band and, there in the front line, the actors were
"waggling" their fingers! .You might think that, in a Hollywood film, they
could hire stand-ins who knew how a musical instrument might be played.

Another thought: the director could have told them to sit still. .After all, all
the attention would be on "Benny" on front. -But nooooo . . .
He told them "Waggle your fingers. We want realism."

Here's a movie scene that shows up even today.

The hero is swimming ashore (perhaps from his sabotaged boat).
He swims and swims, strongly manly strokes ... never putting his face in
the water like a real swimmer. .He swims until he is close to the shore.
Then he stands up.

And lo! .He is only knee-deep in the water.
.. He then walks ashore with manly strides.

Me? -If I were swimming for my life, I'd be constantly checking the
depth of the water. -The instant my feet touched bottom, I would stop
swimming and slowly make my way toward the shore. -Being neck-deep
in water, my strides would not be as manly, though. -Obviously, he must
swim until his fingers grazed the bottom. -Evidently, that is the method
used by Manly Men when swimming for their lives.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I too have watched actors miming the playing of musical instruments and wondered why they couldn't hire a few consultants to take 30 minutes to teach the actors how to properly hold the instruments.:confused:

One of my movie pet peeves is when the hero outguns 6 bad guys all armed with fully automatic assault rifles...with a pistol.

One of my roadway pet peeves is those jokers who think its okay to drive in the passing lane just because they are "doing the speed limit," and they actually think they are doing a public service by keeping others at the speed they deem is sufficient. I love self-appointed cops.

I've also noticed there is a significant portion of drivers who will be putt-putting down a rural highway 5 mph below the speed limit...until you pass them...then they ride your tail as if you have made a mistake be daring to pass them. At this point I want to brake check them, but with 14 in. rotors and 6 piston calipers up front, this would be unwise. (Smirk)

Or how about when you are traveling down the road, with no one in sight behind you, yet some turkey pulls out into the road right in front of you making you slow way down, simply because he couldn't wait 5 seconds for you to pass by and then pull out getting in no one's way?

alane1994

Oct 16, 2012
The pistol vs automatic rifles thing is plausible if the person is a good enough shot.

But on to your other points. I hate it when people do that!!! I can be cruising down the interstate or the highway (admittedly over the speed limit), and some schmuck thinks that it is a wonderful idea to pass a car when I am barreling down the highway towards him. I can be seen going 80-85 easily down the interstate and some idiot passes right as I am getting to him, and he is going 65 mph.... rustles my jimmies. The self appointed speed cop aggravates me as well.

On a side note, does anyone else get a little paranoid when you pass a cop?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012

The same goes for Asian characeters.
Very few of us can read those characters, but we can tell when someone
is "faking" them.. It's usually an ugly scribble with slashes and dots.
Why not ask an authority for the symbols for "Happiness" and "Wealth"?

The same goes for English in Asian countries. Have you read an inflatable inner tube instructions from Japan? The English translate is generally more funny then helpful. With so many people teaching English in Japan, they could consult someone as well.

Bacterius

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
One of my pet peeves is people who don't take into account selection bias in everyday life. Taking a simple example, people who use arguments along the lines of "30 people have rated this product bad while only 20 people have praised it" and immediately conclude the product must be bad, utterly failing to consider that people who are happy with the product are much less likely to come back and post a review than people who are unhappy with it (though this depends on culture, to some extent).

Or a more recent and striking one, someone claiming that "end of world theories are a joke because they've never come true". Nice logic there, dude, but the probability of one such theory being true and you living to talk about it is zero, so obviously the probability that you observe the theory fail is 1. Not that I am for or against end of world theories, but the logic hole amused me.

It may seem excessive, but I've this happen over and over again and it's quite irritating.

Also: any computer-oriented movie out there. I don't know how but *none* of them manage to have even a sliver of credibility. They could at least hire someone to make the screen of the supposedly "l33t h4ck3r" look somewhat realistic. Sometimes I just have to turn away from embarrassment.

jakncoke

Jan 11, 2013
One of my pet peeves is people who don't take into account selection bias in everyday life. Taking a simple example, people who use arguments along the lines of "30 people have rated this product bad while only 20 people have praised it" and immediately conclude the product must be bad, utterly failing to consider that people who are happy with the product are much less likely to come back and post a review than people who are unhappy with it (though this depends on culture, to some extent).

Or a more recent and striking one, someone claiming that "end of world theories are a joke because they've never come true". Nice logic there, dude, but the probability of one such theory being true and you living to talk about it is zero, so obviously the probability that you observe the theory fail is 1. Not that I am for or against end of world theories, but the logic hole amused me.

It may seem excessive, but I've this happen over and over again and it's quite irritating.

Also: any computer-oriented movie out there. I don't know how but *none* of them manage to have even a sliver of credibility. They could at least hire someone to make the screen of the supposedly "l33t h4ck3r" look somewhat realistic. Sometimes I just have to turn away from embarrassment.
What you are telling me, having a several unix terminals open and typing "cd dirpath" over and over again isn't what hackers do?

I swear man, its because of those people that whenever i open a terminal in linux, at least one person asks me "So what are you hacking" (Headbang)(Headbang)(Headbang)

alane1994

Oct 16, 2012
They aren't hackers, they are crackers. Hackers create programs, crackers break them and/or break into areas of computers or computer infrastructures where they don't belong. And anyone who uses 1337 type language are posers...

Some pet peeves of movies of mine mostly involve guns. When they show casings that the primer hasn't been struck. Or of the completely wrong caliber...

Last edited:

soroban

Feb 2, 2012

Getting back to movie cliches . . .

How about a chess match between two grandmasters?

Of course, watching a chess game is as exciting as watching paint dry.
So they must create suspense with close-ups of the players faces and eyes
(Sergio Leone) and a heartbeat-type of musical score (Lalo Schifrin).

Then our hero makes his killing move and says, "Checkmate."
His opponent looks shocked and is stunned by the brilliant move.

Aw, come on!
A world-class player and he didn't see a mate-in-one?

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I remember once as a teenager watching an episode of "The Incredible Hulk" on TV with my father...or perhaps it was "The Six Million Dollar Man"...

Anyway, the title character, possessing superhuman strength, attempts to stop the villains from escaping in a helicopter by leaping up and hanging onto the "feet" of the copter, and then begins exerting force on the helicopter and brings it down...while his feet are dangling in the air. (Thinking)(Giggle)

Poirot

Banned
Feb 15, 2012
I would disagree with your complaint about 'self appointed cops'. Why shouldn't we try to uphold our own laws? If I see someone driving along talking into his mobile phone, the correct thing to do is rap on his window and tell him to stop.

On a seperate point I find it when irritating when in an argument, someone says 'it's the 21st century now' to support their point. Also when people use equality, diversity etc. as axiomatically good things which they don't see the need to justify.

alane1994

Oct 16, 2012
Question... how do you tap on someones window as they are driving down the street? Also, it is not your job. Your job while you are driving down the road is to mind your own business and assure your own safety through foresight and defensive driving. Your job is NOT to enforce laws. We pay taxes to have trained professionals do that.

Poirot

Banned
Feb 15, 2012
Question... how do you tap on someones window as they are driving down the street? Also, it is not your job. Your job while you are driving down the road is to mind your own business and assure your own safety through foresight and defensive driving. Your job is NOT to enforce laws. We pay taxes to have trained professionals do that.
Yes good question, I was imagining myself as a pedestrian. Couldn't disagree more on the second point however. I know it's not my job, but then again, so what? It's called collective responsibility.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
When I initially made the comment regarding self-appointed cops, I was extremely vague, and I apologize for this.

If I am at a bar and I see a man strike a woman, you can bet I am going to step in and enforce my own code of morality, or if I see someone trying to coerce a child to go with them when it is obvious the child does not know the person, yes, I will intervene immediately.

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012

Even worse are those with math symbols (allegedly).
Anyone past 8th grade knows better than to suggest: $+\;x\;-\;2\;\div\;\sqrt{} $

You've obviously not seen the college students in my Intro Physics class....

-Dan

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
I remember once as a teenager watching an episode of "The Incredible Hulk" on TV with my father...or perhaps it was "The Six Million Dollar Man"...

Anyway, the title character, possessing superhuman strength, attempts to stop the villains from escaping in a helicopter by leaping up and hanging onto the "feet" of the copter, and then begins exerting force on the helicopter and brings it down...while his feet are dangling in the air. (Thinking)(Giggle)
You can explain how the Hulk can pick up a car and throw it. His whole body structure is presumably made much stronger than human standards. (Muscle)

On the other hand, Steve Austin picking up a car and throwing is ludicrous...The arm might be strong enough but somewhere in the shoulder is a link between the bionic arm and the human body. In reality he would just tear his arm off from the strain. (Tmi)

And have you ever seen him run down the stairs at "bionic" speed? In reality he could only drop at g m/s^2 no matter how strong his legs are. (Doh)

And don't even ask me about Star Trek... (Nerd)

Just my little rant.

-Dan

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Yes, my dad had a field day with the Six Million Dollar Man...for exactly those types of points...he would point out that his spine would crumble when lifting heavy objects, his 60 mph running would tear gluteal muscles, etc. My mom would chastise him and say "just enjoy the show, dear." (Lipssealed)

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
You can explain how the Hulk can pick up a car and throw it. His whole body structure is presumably made much stronger than human standards. (Muscle)
The problem with the Hulk is that he may be strong enough, but his grip on the ground isn't.
Throwing a car should leave a decided track on the ground, and likely the Hulk would only displace himself rather than the car.
Somehow that never occurs.
It's not just about strength, it is also about inertia, friction, and reaction forces.

alane1994

Oct 16, 2012
When I initially made the comment regarding self-appointed cops, I was extremely vague, and I apologize for this.

If I am at a bar and I see a man strike a woman, you can bet I am going to step in and enforce my own code of morality, or if I see someone trying to coerce a child to go with them when it is obvious the child does not know the person, yes, I will intervene immediately.
I couldn't agree more with this. I was talking about traffic laws when I was referring to enforcement by civilians. I have, and most likely will again step in when there are situations such as you describe. In a student common area at my college, there was a guy getting rough with his girlfriend. I could see that she was rather frightened, and nobody else was stepping in to do anything ( dunno if they didn't notice, or didn't care). Anyway, I stepped in and made the guy back off... Although, that could have something to do with me being 6'3" and about 260lbs.
Anyway... to conclude story time with Austin, that was a great feeling to know that I helped someone. However, that does not mean that I will stop someone on the street to inform them that they are making bad driving decisions or that they are violating traffic laws. That facet of the law is best left to the professionals, not John Doe-Smith-Whiterson from Street Avenue Place.

All done! :D:eek:

OK, a little more... Serena, we do not know what the mass of the Hulk is. If it is substantially larger than before he changes, that could dramatically change how and what would happen when he goes on car tossing, tank ripping, Earth shaking rampages. If he were to have a greater mass than an automobile for instance, that would allow him to throw it much easier. Just my two cents worth.

Last edited:

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
OK, a little more... Serena, we do not know what the mass of the Hulk is. If it is substantially larger than before he changes, that could dramatically change how and what would happen when he goes on car tossing, tank ripping, Earth shaking rampages. If he were to have a greater mass than an automobile for instance, that would allow him to throw it much easier. Just my two cents worth.
Hehe. There are soooo many things wrong with Hulk having a mass comparable to a tank. lol

The mass of the Hulk... shouldn't it be the same as our dear Doctor Banner?

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
Hehe. There are soooo many things wrong with Hulk having a mass comparable to a tank. lol

The mass of the Hulk... shouldn't it be the same as our dear Doctor Banner?
Actually I was thinking of the recent Hulk movies rather than David or Bruce Banner.

Any why is it that they switch every now and again. Which is the human name of the Hulk in the comics?

-Dan

jakncoke

Jan 11, 2013
i think logic ran out the window when you have a guy who gets enough strength to split dimensions(whatever that means) by getting angry.

soroban

Feb 2, 2012

Speaking of Steve Austin, there was a joke circulating
at the height of the popularity of "The Six Million Dollar Man".

Steve Austin threw a Javelin 400 yards.
Unfortunately, Oscar Goldman was driving it at the time.