Some more basic questions on Dark Energy

In summary, the concept of dark energy is still not fully understood, but our best current model suggests that it is a cosmological constant that has always been present in the universe. There are no theories linking dark energy to the baryon asymmetry or the inflaton field, but its relationship to inflation theory is still uncertain. As the universe expands, the energy density of dark energy remains constant, but the total amount is not well-defined due to the infinite spatial extent of the universe.
rede96
Firstly, let me apologise if my questions below are a bit elementary, stupid or if the answers are obvious. But I was curious and wanted to understand a bit more about dark energy from a very layman's point of view.

So I had some fundamental questions around dark energy I wanted to ask:

1) What ever dark energy is, I am assuming it isn't something that was newly created post big bang but has always been present in the universe. Is that correct?

2) Are there any theories that dark energy could be what is responsible for the baryon asymmetry? In other words that some how the missing anti matter was converted into dark (or anti) energy?

3) Linked to question 2, I take it dark energy isn't the same as normal energy in that it can't be converted into other forms as normal energy can? (e.g. E=MC2)

4) Could dark energy be linked to the inflaton field in inflation theory? Or could it be the same thing? Could dark energy be responsible for the very early initial inflation? (around 10−35 to 10−34 seconds I think)

5) This is probably a really stupid question, but thought I'd ask it anyway. As I understand it as the universe expands, more dark energy is created. Simply because the energy density doesn't change but there is more universe, hence more dark energy as expansion takes place.

But is it possible that the total amount of dark energy in the 'universe' doesn't change? E.g. it was always there to begin with but somehow expansion just reveals it, and doesn't create it?

Space news on Phys.org
rede96 said:
1) What ever dark energy is, I am assuming it isn't something that was newly created post big bang but has always been present in the universe. Is that correct?

We don't know for sure. Our best current model is that dark energy is a cosmological constant, which would always have been present. But we don't know for sure that that model is correct.

rede96 said:
2) Are there any theories that dark energy could be what is responsible for the baryon asymmetry? In other words that some how the missing anti matter was converted into dark (or anti) energy?

Not to my knowledge.

rede96 said:
3) Linked to question 2, I take it dark energy isn't the same as normal energy in that it can't be converted into other forms as normal energy can? (e.g. E=MC2)

We don't know.

rede96 said:
4) Could dark energy be linked to the inflaton field in inflation theory? Or could it be the same thing?

Probably not but we don't know for sure.

rede96 said:
Could dark energy be responsible for the very early initial inflation? (around 10−35 to 10−34 seconds I think)

Not as it is, because its energy density is much too small. If dark energy is the remnant of the inflaton field, the energy density in that field would have had to change drastically at the end of inflation. (Inflationary cosmology says that must have happened anyway--when inflation ended, the energy density in the inflaton field was transferred to the Standard Model fields, i.e., to leptons, quarks, and gauge bosons. The question is whether that left zero energy density in the inflation field--which is our best current model--or some very small positive energy density in that field, which could be what we see today as dark energy.)

rede96 said:
As I understand it as the universe expands, more dark energy is created

This isn't really well-defined, because according to our best current model, the universe is infinite in spatial extent, so there is no well-defined "total amount of dark energy" in it. The only thing that is well-defined is the energy density, which is constant (as best we can tell).

rede96 said:
is it possible that the total amount of dark energy in the 'universe' doesn't change?

Not according to our best current model, because "the total amount of dark energy" isn't well defined. See above.

Related to Some more basic questions on Dark Energy

1. What is Dark Energy?

Dark Energy is a theoretical form of energy that is believed to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is thought to be responsible for the observed accelerated expansion of the universe.

2. How is Dark Energy different from Dark Matter?

Dark Matter is another theoretical form of matter that is believed to make up about 25% of the total energy in the universe. Unlike Dark Energy, Dark Matter does not directly affect the expansion of the universe, but it does play a role in the formation of galaxies and their structures.

3. What evidence do we have for the existence of Dark Energy?

One of the main pieces of evidence for Dark Energy is the observation of the accelerated expansion of the universe. This was first discovered in the late 1990s and has been confirmed by multiple studies since then. Other evidence includes the large-scale distribution of galaxies and the cosmic microwave background radiation.

4. How do scientists study Dark Energy?

Scientists study Dark Energy through a variety of methods, including observing the expansion of the universe, measuring the distribution of galaxies and their structures, and using large-scale simulations of the universe. They also use data from telescopes and other instruments to make precise measurements of the effects of Dark Energy on the universe.

5. Can Dark Energy be harnessed or used as a source of energy?

At this time, there is no known way to harness or use Dark Energy as a source of energy. Its effects are only observed on a large scale and it is not accessible or controllable by humans. However, ongoing research and studies may lead to a better understanding of Dark Energy and its potential applications in the future.