Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Some ideas

Petrus

Feb 21, 2013
Hello,
I got 2 idé that I would like to share.
1. A new game. It ask you like 'what is $\frac{3}{5}+\frac{3}{8}$ and u got only x sec to answer like 7 sec and if you get it correct you get point and new question, there can also be equation etc ( Will be hard:p)

2. Seminar, there is 'problem of the week' maybe they should make so other can post their solotion and explain like a seminarium (like why cant I divide by that or why I use that formula or think like that). Then you guys maybe ask question or give tips, this would give great training for seminarium etc:)

just some tips I dont know if they are good:)

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Hello Petrus,

Thank you for the suggestions. Here are my thoughts:

1.) The games in our arcade are not written by our members, they are added by our administrators from an existing collection of games known to work with the forum software, at least that's my understanding of how it works. If you know of such a game already written, you could provide a link and I'm sure our admins would consider it, given the game will work here.

2.) We invite anyone whose solution was not posted in the POTW topics to begin a discussion of their own solution, if they wish to demonstrate the method they have used and explain why they did what they did as a tutorial topic. These could be added in our Math Notes sub-forum. As such, they should fully explain each step to the best of their ability. Such posts would be subject to moderation if deemed to not be up to tutorial standards. What I mean is a tutorial topic should be rich in detail and explanations, and of course correct in the mathematics.

Everyone is of course invited to submit solutions to the various POTW categories each week, but our admins in charge of these try their best to be as fair as possible in deciding whose solutions are posted, particularly when several solutions are essentially the same. I have noticed that they try to make sure that everyone who is participating has a fair chance at being "published."

If after the solution is given, and you have a question about the solution, or want clarification, you are invited to begin a topic in the appropriate sub-forum to post your question. Or if your submitted solution was incorrect, you are free to ask where you went wrong. Chances are, if you have a questions about the solution, someone else does too, and this would be a good way to increase our knowledge base as well.

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Thank you for your feedback, Petrus.

I think Mark has perfectly answered both suggestions. The first one is only possible if you can find such a game for us and for the second I recommend creating threads in the Challenge Problems subforum or the Math Notes subforum.

If you have any follow up comments please feel free to make them here and as always if you have any more suggestions please let us know. For now though I think this matter is [SOLVED].