Some help on correlating the reaction mechanism with the rate law

In summary, the reaction mechanism refers to the step-by-step process of a reaction, while the rate law describes the mathematical relationship between the rate of the reaction and the concentrations of the reactants. The rate law helps us understand the reaction mechanism by providing information about the rate-determining step. However, the reaction mechanism cannot be determined directly from the rate law and additional experiments are needed for a complete understanding. Changing the reactant concentrations can affect the rate law by altering the rate constant or the order of the reaction. Finally, both the reaction mechanism and rate law can change under different experimental conditions, making it important to conduct multiple experiments to fully understand the relationship between the two.
dorebase2006

Homework Statement

Consider the following mechanism:
(1) ClO[tex]^{-}[/tex] (aq) + H2O (l) [tex]\Leftrightarrow[/tex] HClO (aq) + OH[tex]^{-}[/tex] (aq) [fast]
(2) I[tex]^{-}[/tex] (aq) + HClO (aq) [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] HIO (aq) + Cl[tex]^{-}[/tex] (aq) [slow]
(3) OH[tex]^{-}[/tex] (aq) + HIO (aq) [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] H2O (l) + IO[tex]^{-}[/tex] (aq) [fast]

Is the mechanism consistent with the actual rate law: rate = k[ClO[tex]^{-}[/tex]][I[tex]^{-}[/tex]]

2. The attempt at a solution
I can't eliminate the intermediate OH[tex]^{-}[/tex] in my rate law. As far as I know, since the second step is slow, my rate should come from there, so rate = k[tex]_{2}[/tex] [I[tex]^{-}[/tex]][HClO]. Then I use the equilibrium (1) to express [HClO] in terms of [reactant]'s, but apparently [OH[tex]^{-}[/tex]] is there, and I don't know how to continue with this.

Another problem with which I also have the same trouble is the following proposed mechanism for the sulfonation of benzene:
(1) H2SO4 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] H3O[tex]^{+}[/tex] + HSO4[tex]^{-}[/tex] + SO3 [fast]
(2) SO3 + C6H6 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] H(C6H5[tex]^{+}[/tex])SO3[tex]^{-}[/tex] [slow]
(3) H(C6H5[tex]^{+}[/tex])SO3[tex]^{-}[/tex] + HSO4[tex]^{-}[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] C6H5SO3[tex]^{-}[/tex] + H2SO4 [fast]
(4) C6H5SO3[tex]^{-}[/tex] + H3O[tex]^{+}[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] C6H5SO3H + H2O [fast]

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

After looking at the proposed mechanism, I can see that it is indeed consistent with the given rate law. Let me explain how.

First, let's look at the slow step (step 2). This step involves the reactants I^- and HClO, and the products HIO and Cl^-. According to the rate law, the rate of the reaction is dependent on the concentrations of both I^- and HClO. This matches with the slow step in the mechanism, where both reactants are involved in the formation of the products.

Now, let's consider the fast steps (steps 1, 3, and 4). These steps involve the formation of intermediates, which are then used in the slow step. In the fast step (1), we see that ClO^- and H2O react to form HClO and OH^-. This step is reversible, which means that the products can also react to form the reactants. This is important because it allows for the formation of more HClO and OH^- as the reaction progresses. This will then contribute to the concentration of HClO in the slow step.

Similarly, in the fast step (3), we see that OH^- and HIO react to form H2O and IO^-. Again, this step is reversible and will contribute to the formation of more H2O and IO^- as the reaction progresses. This will then contribute to the concentration of HIO in the slow step.

Finally, in the fast step (4), we see that H3O^+ and C6H5SO3^- react to form C6H5SO3H and H2O. This step is also reversible and will contribute to the formation of more C6H5SO3H and H2O as the reaction progresses. This will then contribute to the concentration of C6H5SO3^- in the slow step.

Overall, we can see that the proposed mechanism is consistent with the given rate law. The fast steps contribute to the formation of intermediates, which then participate in the slow step. This allows for the formation of more products and keeps the reaction going. I hope this helps to clarify any confusion you had. Keep up the good work in your scientific studies!

Related to Some help on correlating the reaction mechanism with the rate law

1. What is the relationship between the reaction mechanism and the rate law?

The reaction mechanism refers to the step-by-step process by which reactants are converted into products, while the rate law describes the mathematical relationship between the rate of the reaction and the concentrations of the reactants. The rate law is based on the slowest step in the reaction mechanism, known as the rate-determining step.

2. How does the rate law help us understand the reaction mechanism?

The rate law helps us understand the reaction mechanism by providing information about the rate-determining step. By studying the rate law, we can determine the order of the reaction, which gives insight into the number of reactant molecules involved in the rate-determining step and the rate constant that relates the concentrations of the reactants to the rate of the reaction.

3. Can the reaction mechanism be determined from the rate law?

No, the reaction mechanism cannot be directly determined from the rate law. While the rate law provides information about the rate-determining step, it does not give a complete picture of the entire reaction mechanism. Additional experiments and data are needed to fully understand the reaction mechanism.

4. How does changing the reactant concentrations affect the rate law?

Changing the reactant concentrations can affect the rate law by altering the rate constant or the order of the reaction. The rate constant may change if the concentration of a catalyst or inhibitor is changed. Additionally, changing the concentrations of reactants can change the reaction rate if the reaction is not in its equilibrium state.

5. Can the reaction mechanism and rate law change under different experimental conditions?

Yes, both the reaction mechanism and rate law can change under different experimental conditions. Factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of catalysts or inhibitors can alter the rate of a reaction and therefore change the reaction mechanism and rate law. This is why it is important to conduct multiple experiments under varying conditions to fully understand the relationship between the reaction mechanism and rate law.