Some help in understanding energy conservation

In summary: The assumption is revealed by the proof, in the sense that ##f(p)## cannot be greater than ##\sqrt{m^2_B+m^2_T}##.But, if I don't first declare what values ##m_A## can take, how do I show then that there is a ##p## such that LHS=RHS for ##m_A=\sqrt{p^2+m^2_B}-\sqrt{p^2-m^2_T}##? This is because the proof only shows what the RHS can be, not what it has to be.
user1139
Homework Statement
Consider the decay of particle ##A## into particles ##B## and ##T## where ##T## is the tachyon particle. Show that a value ##p## exists to satisfy the conservation of energy equation. Note that ##c=1##
Relevant Equations
Relevant equation: ##m_A=\sqrt{p^2+m^2_B}-\sqrt{p^2-m^2_T}##
While I am working through proving the homework statement, I encountered a problem. The problem is as follows:

From the energy equation above, one can see that the minimum value of ##p## is ##m_T##. However, how does one explain why when ##p=m_T##, ##\sqrt{m^2_B+m^2_T}>m_A##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thomas1 said:
Homework Statement:: Consider the decay of particle ##A## into particles ##B## and ##T## where ##T## is the tachyon particle. Show that a value ##p## exists to satisfy the conservation of energy equation. Note that ##c=1##
Relevant Equations:: Relevant equation: ##m_A=\sqrt{p^2+m^2_B}-\sqrt{p^2-m^2_T}##

While I am working through proving the homework statement, I encountered a problem. The problem is as follows:

From the energy equation above, one can see that the minimum value of ##p## is ##m_T##. However, how does one explain why when ##p=m_T##, ##\sqrt{m^2_B+m^2_T}>m_A##?
Do you mean why is there a solution for ##p## if and only if ##\sqrt{m_b^2 + m_T^2} \ge m_A##?

PeroK said:
Do you mean why is there a solution for ##p## if and only if ##\sqrt{m_b^2 + m_T^2} \ge m_A##?
I meant why if we set ##p=m_T##, then the RHS = ##\sqrt{m^2_B+m^2_T}## is greater than LHS = ##m_A##.

Thomas1 said:
I meant why if we set ##p=m_T##, then the RHS = ##\sqrt{m^2_B+m^2_T}## is greater than LHS = ##m_A##.
That's fairly simple mathematics, surely? ##p= m_T## is, therefore, not a solution.

PeroK said:
That's fairly simple mathematics, surely? ##p= m_T## is, therefore, not a solution.
How do you show it though?

Thomas1 said:
How do you show it though?
You seem to be confused by the mathematical logic here. There are three possibilities:

1) ##m_A > \sqrt{m_B^2 + m_T^2}##

In which case, there is no solution for ##p##.

2) ##m_A = \sqrt{m_B^2 + m_T^2}##

In which case ##p = m_T## is a solution.

3) ##m_A < \sqrt{m_B^2 + m_T^2}##

In which case there is a solution ##p > m_T##.

A simple way to prove all this is to consider the function $$f(p ) = \sqrt{p^2 + m_B^2} - \sqrt{p^2 - m_T^2}$$ and show that it is decreasing for ##p \ge m_T##. Hint: ##f(p) \rightarrow 0## as ##p \rightarrow \infty##.

Oh so it is because we want a solution for ##p## that's why we insist that when ##p=m_T##, ##m_A<\sqrt{m^2_B+m^2_T}##?

Thomas1 said:
Oh so it is because we want a solution for ##p## that's why we insist that when ##p=m_T##, ##m_A<\sqrt{m^2_B+m^2_T}##?
Um, no! If ##p=m_T##, then ##m_A = \sqrt{m^2_B+m^2_T}##.

Oh but I am trying to show that there is a value for ##p## that satisfies ##m_A=\sqrt{p^2+m^2_B}-\sqrt{p^2-m^2_T}\,##.

Thomas1 said:
Oh but I am trying to show that there is a value for ##p## that satisfies ##m_A=\sqrt{p^2+m^2_B}-\sqrt{p^2-m^2_T}\,##.
I understand that. But, as I pointed out above, you require the assumption that ##m_A \le \sqrt{m_B^2 + m_T^2}##.

So I will first have to declare the assumption that ##\sqrt{m^2_B+m^2_T}\geq m_A## before showing that under the assumption, there is a ##p## for which ##m_A=\sqrt{p^2+m^2_B}-\sqrt{p^2-m^2_T}##?

Thomas1 said:
So I will first have to declare the assumption that ##\sqrt{m^2_B+m^2_T}\geq m_A## before showing that under the assumption, there is a ##p## for which ##m_A=\sqrt{p^2+m^2_B}-\sqrt{p^2-m^2_T}##?
That assumption and the proof go hand in hand. You need to start thinking about how you prove it. I gave you a hint above:

PeroK said:
A simple way to prove all this is to consider the function $$f(p ) = \sqrt{p^2 + m_B^2} - \sqrt{p^2 - m_T^2}$$ and show that it is decreasing for ##p \ge m_T##. Hint: ##f(p) \rightarrow 0## as ##p \rightarrow \infty##.

Yes, I was able to prove from your hint. However, I am wondering if I need to declare that assumption before showing the proof.

Thomas1 said:
Yes, I was able to prove from your hint. However, I am wondering if I need to declare that assumption before showing the proof.
The assumption is revealed by the proof, in the sense that ##f(p)## cannot be greater than ##\sqrt{m^2_B+m^2_T}##.

But, if I don't first declare what values ##m_A## can take, how do I show then that there is a ##p## such that LHS=RHS for ##m_A=\sqrt{p^2+m^2_B}-\sqrt{p^2-m^2_T}##? This is because the proof only shows what the RHS can be.

Thomas1 said:
But, if I don't first declare what values ##m_A## can take, how do I show then that there is a ##p## such that LHS=RHS for ##m_A=\sqrt{p^2+m^2_B}-\sqrt{p^2-m^2_T}##? This is because the proof only shows what the RHS can be.
You can do it either way. You can notice up front that a certain condition on ##m_A## must be satisfied. Or, you can identify the condition during the working of the proof.

To take an example. If you are looking for real solutions to ##ax^2 + bx + c = 0##, then you can either assume up front that ##b^2 - 4ac \ge 0##; or, you can identify this condition during your working.

Related to Some help in understanding energy conservation

What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation refers to the practice of reducing the amount of energy used to achieve a desired outcome. This can be achieved through various methods, such as using energy-efficient appliances and equipment, implementing energy-saving practices, and promoting renewable energy sources.

Why is energy conservation important?

Energy conservation is important because it helps to reduce the consumption of non-renewable energy sources, such as fossil fuels, which are responsible for producing greenhouse gases and contributing to climate change. By conserving energy, we can also save money on energy bills and reduce our dependence on foreign energy sources.

How can I conserve energy in my daily life?

There are many ways to conserve energy in your daily life, such as turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using public transportation or carpooling, adjusting your thermostat to save energy, and using energy-efficient appliances and lighting. You can also conserve energy by being mindful of your water usage and recycling to reduce the energy needed for production and disposal of materials.

What are some examples of energy conservation in action?

Some examples of energy conservation in action include the use of renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, in place of fossil fuels. Many buildings and homes also use energy-efficient materials and designs, such as insulation and energy-efficient windows, to reduce energy consumption. Additionally, industries and businesses may implement energy-saving practices, such as using energy-efficient equipment and processes, to conserve energy.

What are the long-term benefits of energy conservation?

The long-term benefits of energy conservation include reduced energy costs, a more sustainable environment, and improved public health. By conserving energy, we can also reduce our carbon footprint and mitigate the effects of climate change. Additionally, investing in energy conservation can create new job opportunities and boost economic growth in the renewable energy sector.