How many kilowatts does a light have?

• Thread starter pedram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary: The device protected building from lightning strikes by providing a direct path for the electrical energy to go to ground instead of destroying the building. In summary, the conversation is about the power consumption of light bulbs and the inventor of the lightning conductor. The power of a light bulb can vary and can be found by looking at the bulb itself. Compact fluorescent bulbs are more efficient than incandescent bulbs. The inventor of the lightning conductor is Ben Franklin, who created it in 1752 to protect buildings from lightning strikes.
pedram
hi
i want to know how many kilowatts does a light have? & i want to know who invented lightning conductor?

please answer it sooooooon!
or email it to:

pedramlolo@hotmail.com

pedram_atb87@yahoo.com

bye

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by pedram
hi
i want to know how many kilowatts does a light have? & i want to know who invented lightning conductor?

please answer it sooooooon!
or email it to:

pedramlolo@hotmail.com

pedram_atb87@yahoo.com

bye

Your first question is very poorly worded. What exactly do you mean? If you mean an electric light, look at the bulb and it will tell you. My lamp at the side of me now is 60W ie 0.060kW.

regards lightning conductor - do a search on Google.

Lamps can have just about any power ratings -- the power dissipated by the lamp depends upon its resistance and the voltage applied to it. Flashlight bulbs and search lights are very different in their power ratings.

- Warren

Compact flourescent light bulbs generally consume about 10-20W at about 5x the efficiency of an incadescent. Regular incadescents come in 40-100w versions. Though like chroot said, light bulbs come in all sizes - down to a few miliwatts and up to a few thousand watts.

For the second part, do a google search for Thomas Edison.

Ben Franklin invented the Lightning Rod, or Lightning Conductor in 1752.

1. How is a light's wattage measured?

A light's wattage is measured by the amount of power it uses to produce light. This is usually indicated by the number of watts on the light bulb or fixture.

2. What is a kilowatt?

A kilowatt is a unit of power equal to 1000 watts. It is often used to measure the amount of electricity used by appliances and devices.

3. How many kilowatts does a typical light have?

A typical incandescent light bulb uses about 60 watts of power, while a compact fluorescent light (CFL) uses about 14 watts. LED lights can use as little as 9 watts.

4. Can the wattage of a light be changed?

Yes, the wattage of a light can be changed by using a different bulb or adjusting the dimmer switch on the fixture. However, it is important to check the maximum wattage allowed for the fixture to avoid overloading it.

5. How does the wattage of a light affect my electricity bill?

The higher the wattage of a light, the more electricity it will use, resulting in a higher electricity bill. Using energy-efficient light bulbs, such as CFLs or LEDs, can help lower your electricity bill by using less wattage while still providing the same amount of light.