Some expressions with Del (nabla) operator in spherical coordinates

In summary, The del (nabla) operator can be confusing when applying vector identities, such as in the calculation of the electric field from a dipole potential. The product rule can be used to simplify the equation, but special attention must be paid to the first term. Simplifying further, the result can be expressed in spherical coordinates, but this can be difficult and there may be better methods to solve the problem. Another equation involving the del operator and a single vector, \vec{p}, is also discussed and the difference between the divergence and gradient is noted.
lol_nl
Reading through my electrodynamics textbook, I frequently get confused with the use of the del (nabla) operator. There is a whole list of vector identities with the del operator, but in some specific cases I cannot figure out what how the operation is exactly defined.

Most of the problems occur at this single equation:
[itex]\nabla(\frac{\vec{p} \cdot \hat{r}}{r^2})[/itex]

which occurs in the calculation of the electric field from a dipole potential, i.e.
[itex]\vec{E_{dip}} = \nabla(V_{dip}) = \nabla(\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{\vec{p} \cdot \hat{r}}{r^2})[/itex],
where the vector p stands for the dipole moment of the dipole and r hat is the unit vector in the radial direction in spherical coordinates.

Now I know that the nabla operator satisfies the product rule, so this simplifies to:
[itex]\nabla(\frac{\vec{p} \cdot \hat{r}}{r^2}) = \nabla(\vec{p} \cdot \hat{r})\frac{1}{r^2} + (\vec{p} \cdot \hat{r}) \nabla(\frac{1}{r^2})[/itex]

Now using the formula for the gradient in spherical coordinates I can easily calculate the last term, but the first term is what is giving me trouble. Using one of the product rules, I see that
[itex]\nabla(\vec{p} \cdot \hat{r}) = \vec{p} \times (\nabla \times \hat{r}) + \hat{r} \times (\nabla \times \vec{p}) + (\vec{p} \cdot \nabla)\hat{r} + (\hat{r} \cdot \nabla)\vec{p} [/itex].

The second term is zero, since p is a single vector, so its curl must be zero.
The first term appears to be zero as well by looking at the curl in spherical coordinates.
The third and fourth terms are where I get stuck. I know that
[itex](\vec{p} \cdot \nabla) \neq (\nabla \cdot \vec{p})[/itex]
and that in (x,y,z) coordinates
[itex](\vec{p} \cdot \nabla) = (p_{x} \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + p_{y} \frac{\partial}{\partial y}+ p_{z} \frac{\partial}{\partial z}) [/itex],
but since I have to let this operator work on r hat, I wish to express it in spherical coordinates. Is this even possible or is the only way to compute this by writing r hat in (x,y,z) coordinates?
A similar problem occurs for the fourth term.

Apparently the result can be written as a relatively simple equation involving only p and r hat.

-----------------------------
Another equation that has caught my attention is this one:
[itex] (\vec{p} \cdot \nabla)\vec{E}) [/itex].
The author claims that in his context, where p is a single vector not depending on the position, this can be written as
[itex] \nabla(\vec{p} \cdot \vec{E}) [/itex].
However, these are two very different equations, with the first one involving the divergence and the third one involving the gradient. How can they at all be equal?

Physics news on Phys.org
The way you attempt to simplify is very difficult, but [itex]\hat{p}\cdot\hat{r}[/itex] is simply [itex]\cos(\theta)[/itex] if [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] is aligned with z axis.

Vector identities are very awkward to work with. There are better ways, don't waste your time on them.

Related to Some expressions with Del (nabla) operator in spherical coordinates

What is the Del (nabla) operator and how is it used in spherical coordinates?

The Del (nabla) operator, also known as the gradient operator, is a vector operator used in mathematics and physics to represent the rate of change of a scalar or vector field. In spherical coordinates, it is written as ∇ or ∇2 and is used to calculate derivatives in three-dimensional space.

What are some common expressions involving the Del (nabla) operator in spherical coordinates?

Some common expressions include the gradient, divergence, and curl of a vector field, which are written as ∇f, ∇·F, and ∇×F, respectively. These expressions are used to calculate the direction and magnitude of change in a field at a specific point in spherical coordinates.

How do I convert equations using the Del (nabla) operator from Cartesian to spherical coordinates?

To convert equations from Cartesian to spherical coordinates, you can use the following substitutions: x = r sinθ cosϕ, y = r sinθ sinϕ, and z = r cosθ. Then, you can use trigonometric identities and the chain rule to express the Del (nabla) operator in terms of r, θ, and ϕ.

What are the advantages of using the Del (nabla) operator in spherical coordinates?

Using the Del (nabla) operator in spherical coordinates allows for a more simplified and elegant representation of vector calculus equations. It also allows for the use of spherical symmetry, making it easier to solve problems involving spherical objects or systems.

In what fields of science is the Del (nabla) operator in spherical coordinates commonly used?

The Del (nabla) operator in spherical coordinates is commonly used in fields such as physics, mathematics, and engineering. It is particularly useful in solving problems involving electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and quantum mechanics, among others.