Some Confusion with an Exponential Equation

In summary, the equation is:5= 3^{x+5}x+5=ln(5)+5ln(3)x=ln(5)+ln(3)-51.46+5.86=6.13In summary, the equation is:5= 3^{x+5}x+5=ln(5)+5ln(3)x=ln(5)+ln(3)-51.46+5.86=6.13
M83
I'm reviewing for my final exam so one of the practice problems is:

5= 3^(x+5)

Here's my attempt at it:

ln 5= x+5 ln 3

ln 5 / ln 3 = x+5
(ln 5 / ln 3)-5= x
1.46-5 ≈ x
-3.54 ≈ x

I checked my answer and I get 3^1.46 ≈ 4.97 so rounding it up gives me 5 since I rounded off 1.46. However when I plug this equation into Mathway it gives me an answer of -3.39. I tried figuring out why (I know if you pay a fee you can view their steps, but I don't have the money at the moment) and eventually came to the conclusion that this is how they did it:

5= 3^(x+5)

x+5 = ln 5
x = ln 5 - 5
x ≈ -3.39

But when I check their answer I get 3^1.61 ≈ 5.86

I think Mathway is wrong, but maybe I'm missing something. Which method is the correct one for solving this equation? Thanks for any help I receive.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry, your answer is correct.
Also, give Wolfram|Alpha a try; it's free and it shows steps (although they're not always very helpful depending on the problem).

Thanks Bohrok. I'll give Wolfram a try.

M83 said:

5= 3^(x+5)

Here's my attempt at it:

ln 5= x+5 ln 3
The equation above needs parentheses.

What you meant was
ln 5= (x+5) ln 3

Because of the higher precedence of multiplication over addition, what you wrote would be interpreted as
ln 5= x+ (5 ln 3)
M83 said:
ln 5 / ln 3 = x+5
(ln 5 / ln 3)-5= x
1.46-5 ≈ x
-3.54 ≈ x

I checked my answer and I get 3^1.46 ≈ 4.97 so rounding it up gives me 5 since I rounded off 1.46. However when I plug this equation into Mathway it gives me an answer of -3.39. I tried figuring out why (I know if you pay a fee you can view their steps, but I don't have the money at the moment) and eventually came to the conclusion that this is how they did it:

5= 3^(x+5)

x+5 = ln 5
x = ln 5 - 5
x ≈ -3.39

But when I check their answer I get 3^1.61 ≈ 5.86

I think Mathway is wrong, but maybe I'm missing something. Which method is the correct one for solving this equation? Thanks for any help I receive.

Mark44 said:
The equation above needs parentheses.

What you meant was
ln 5= (x+5) ln 3

Because of the higher precedence of multiplication over addition, what you wrote would be interpreted as
ln 5= x+ (5 ln 3)

Thanks for the correction.

M83 said:

5= 3^(x+5)

5 = 3^x * 3^5

5/(3^5) = 3^x

x = log_3(5/(3^5)) whatever that turns out to be. Let's go further ...

x = log_3(5/(3^5)) = log_3(5) - log_3(3^5)

= log_3(5) - 5

= -3.53502647928207283280295959232135960369206763333395...

that last step from Wolfram Alpha. So I think what you had initially is correct.

You could also take the logarithm directly:
[tex]5= 3^{x+ 5}[/tex]
[tex]log(5)= log(3^{x+5})= (x+ 5)log(3)[/tex]
so that
[tex]x+ 5= \frac{log(5)}{log(3)}[/tex]
and then
[tex]x= \frac{log(5)}{log(3)}- 5[/tex].

Are you required to write a decimal answer (which can only be approximate)? I would leave the answer as the above fraction.

your answer is correct, with these questions always take the ln/e and solve from their, quite straight forward :)

Related to Some Confusion with an Exponential Equation

1. What is an exponential equation?

An exponential equation is a mathematical expression that involves a base number raised to a variable exponent. It can be written in the form of y = ab^x, where a is the initial value, b is the base, and x is the exponent. Exponential equations are commonly used to model growth or decay in various fields such as finance, physics, and biology.

2. How do you solve an exponential equation?

To solve an exponential equation, you can use the properties of exponents or take the logarithm of both sides. The properties of exponents allow you to simplify the equation by combining like terms or using rules for multiplication and division. Taking the logarithm (usually base 10 or base e) of both sides can help you isolate the variable and solve for its value.

3. What is the difference between an exponential equation and a linear equation?

The main difference between an exponential equation and a linear equation is the variable's exponent. In a linear equation, the variable is raised to the first power, while in an exponential equation, the variable is raised to a variable exponent. This difference leads to different patterns of growth or decay in the two types of equations.

4. Can exponential equations have negative exponents?

Yes, exponential equations can have negative exponents. A negative exponent indicates that the base number is being raised to a reciprocal power. For example, 2^-3 is equal to 1/(2^3) = 1/8. Negative exponents are commonly used in scientific notation to represent very small numbers.

5. How are exponential equations used in real life?

Exponential equations are used in various real-life applications, such as population growth, compound interest, radioactive decay, and bacterial growth. They can also be used to model the spread of diseases, the growth of technology, and the depreciation of assets. In finance, exponential equations are used to calculate future values, present values, and interest rates in compound interest problems.