Some Career and Academic Guidance Appreciated

In summary, Aaron is a 22-year-old who studied Business Administration at Illinois Institute of Technology but regrets not pursuing his original interest in engineering due to the teaching methods of foreign professors. He is now considering going back to studying Physics and seeks advice on how to improve his mathematical background. He also asks for recommendations on good and affordable programs in New Jersey.
kilgorethomas
Good Afternoon Fellow Physics Enthusiasts and Educators,

My name is Aaron and I am new on pf and was heavily recommended to join by my former lab assistant (current P.Hd student) and friend at the University of Arizona Physics department. At the time, I was studying general science courses but moved to Chicago and studied Business Administration at Illinois Institute of Technology. I would like to gain some valuable feedback and insights from the more experienced individuals in academia as well as people that could lead me into the right direction.

First off, I am 22, and finished my Bachelors of Science in Business however I do regret it. One of the reasons why I chose to study business rather than my original subject (engineering) was because of the teachers incomprehensible teaching methods here at IIT. A lot of the professors were foreign and were almost "drone" like during their lectures. Now as I get on here and see some of the links from the Great Minds of Susskind, Lewin, Feynman, I am actually quite jealous and wished I had professors of that caliber teaching me. I do not criticize or question the intellectual capacities of the professors I met and took part in at IIT, however I feel their background and teaching methodologies (the latter coming from India, Iran and China) greatly differ than the Professors from the USA. I am reconsidering going back to Physics and giving it another shot, because 1) my father studied Physics (but unfortunately was not able to or had the opportunity to pursue Masters) and still knows a lot about the core theories and subjects, and 2) my own love and passion for the physical and atmospheric universe is there. My only concerns are my mathematical background and being able to grasp the concepts and was wondering if anyone had any sustainable advice to help me come back to physics. and 3) the career opportunities are much greater and feasible than that of a Business degree which are a dime a dozen.

Secondly, what to look for in teaching style and quality? I am currently in Chicago, but will probably be moving back to New Jersey (my home state) and would like some help considering good programs in New Jersey that are affordable (Princeton is out of the question for me haha).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I thank you all for your time and I look forward to hearing back from the experts here on PF.Aaron

Related to Some Career and Academic Guidance Appreciated

1. What is "Some Career and Academic Guidance Appreciated"?

"Some Career and Academic Guidance Appreciated" is a phrase used to express gratitude for any advice or direction in regards to one's career and academic pursuits.

2. Who typically uses the phrase "Some Career and Academic Guidance Appreciated"?

This phrase is commonly used by individuals who are seeking guidance and advice in their career and academic paths. It can also be used by students, job seekers, and anyone who is looking for direction in their professional endeavors.

3. Why is career and academic guidance important?

Career and academic guidance is important because it can help individuals make informed decisions about their future and achieve their goals. It can also provide valuable insights and perspectives from experienced professionals, which can help individuals navigate through challenges and make the most of their opportunities.

4. How can one seek career and academic guidance?

There are various ways to seek career and academic guidance, such as attending career fairs, networking events, and informational interviews. Additionally, individuals can also seek guidance from career counselors, mentors, and online resources.

5. What are the benefits of seeking career and academic guidance?

Seeking career and academic guidance can provide individuals with valuable insights and advice, which can help them make informed decisions about their future. It can also help individuals identify their strengths and weaknesses, explore different career options, and develop a strategic plan to achieve their goals.