Solving $z^4=-1$ with a Complex Number

In summary, there are a few ways to solve the equation $z^4 = -1$ where z is a complex number. One method is to use Euler's identity and evaluate the values for $\theta$ in the region $\theta \in (-\pi, \pi]$. Another method is to use $\displaystyle z^4 + 1 = (z-\sqrt{i})(z+\sqrt{i})(z-i^{3/2})(z+i^{3/2})$ and convert to polar form to find the roots. Both methods involve converting to polar form and solving for the values of z.
Dustinsfl
For some odd reason, I can't think right now. How do I solve $z^4 = -1$ where z is a complex number?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
For some odd reason, I can't think right now. How do I solve $z^4 = -1$ where z is a complex number?

There's a few ways. The easiest is IMO this way...

\[ \displaystyle \begin{align*} z^4 &= -1 \\ \left(r\,e^{i\theta}\right)^4 &= e^{i\left(\pi + 2\pi n\right)}\textrm{ where }n \in \mathbf{Z} \\ r^4e^{4i\theta} &= 1e^{i\left(\pi + 2\pi n\right)} \\ r^4 = 1 \textrm{ and } 4\theta &= \pi + 2\pi n \\ r = 1 \textrm{ and } \theta &= \frac{\pi}{4} + \frac{\pi n}{2} \end{align*} \]

Now evaluate the values for $\displaystyle \theta $ which are in the region $\displaystyle \theta \in (-\pi, \pi]$.

Last edited:
Prove It said:
There's a few ways. The easiest is IMO this way...

\[ \displaystyle \begin{align*} z^4 &= -1 \\ z^4 - 1 &= 0 \end{align*} \]
Are you sure? :p

Sherlock said:
Are you sure? :p

Oops, I meant +1 haha, editing :P

If we use Euler's identity we can easily find that $\displaystyle z^n+1 = \prod_{k=0}^{n-1}\left(z-e^{i\left(\dfrac{\pi}{n}+\dfrac{2\pi}{n} k\right)}\right).$

---------- Post added at 00:31 ---------- Previous post was at 00:19 ----------

Prove It said:
Oops, I meant +1 haha, editing :P
I think the idea of your earlier solution does work, though.

\begin{aligned}z^4+1 & = z^4-i^2 \\& = (z^2-i)(z^2+i) \\& = (z-\sqrt{i})(z+\sqrt{i})(z^2-i^3) \\& = (z-\sqrt{i})(z+\sqrt{i})(z-i^{3/2})(z+i^{3/2}). \end{aligned}

Sherlock said:
If we use Euler's identity we can easily find that $\displaystyle z^n+1 = \prod_{k=0}^{n-1}\left(z-e^{i\left(\dfrac{\pi}{n}+\dfrac{2\pi}{n} k\right)}\right).$

---------- Post added at 00:31 ---------- Previous post was at 00:19 ----------

I think the idea of your earlier solution does work, though.

\begin{aligned}z^4+1 & = z^4-i^2 \\& = (z^2-i)(z^2+i) \\& = (z-\sqrt{i})(z+\sqrt{i})(z^2-i^3) \\& = (z-\sqrt{i})(z+\sqrt{i})(z-i^{3/2})(z+i^{3/2}). \end{aligned}

True, but to evaluate $\displaystyle \sqrt{i}$ and $\displaystyle i^{\frac{3}{2}}$ requires converting to polars, so it's easier to convert right at the start :)

Related to Solving $z^4=-1$ with a Complex Number

What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

How do you solve $z^4=-1$ with a complex number?

To solve $z^4=-1$ with a complex number, we can use the roots of unity. The four solutions are: z = 1, z = -1, z = i, and z = -i.

What are the four solutions of $z^4=-1$ in complex number form?

The four solutions of $z^4=-1$ in complex number form are: z = 1, z = -1, z = i, and z = -i.

How do you graph the solutions of $z^4=-1$ in the complex plane?

The solutions of $z^4=-1$ form a square in the complex plane, with the points (1,0), (-1,0), (0,1), and (0,-1) as its vertices.

What is the relationship between the solutions of $z^4=-1$ and the unit circle?

The solutions of $z^4=-1$ lie on the unit circle in the complex plane, with each solution representing a point on the circle that is 90 degrees apart from the previous solution.