Solving Weight of 12 kg Crate Sliding on 35° Platform

• Thread starter Nodoubt101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary, a new member on Physics Forums is seeking help with a physics question involving a crate sliding at a constant speed down a smooth platform at a 35-degree angle. They are asking for assistance in calculating the weight of the crate, the perpendicular and parallel components of the weight, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the platform and crate. However, according to forum rules, they must first show their relevant equations and attempt a solution before receiving assistance.
Nodoubt101
hey guys I am new here so i would first like to say thanks for reading my post. i got this question that I'm stumped on so please help me thank you!

A *12 kg crate is sliding at constant speed down a smooth platform that makes a 35. degree angle* with the horizontal.

Calculate the weight of the crate.
Calculate the component of the weight that is perpendicular to the platform.
Calculate the component of the weight that is parallel to the platform.
Calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction between the platform and the crate

thanks a lot i appreciate it

Physics news on Phys.org
Nodoubt101; Welcome to Physics Forums! :smile:You will get plenty of help on these forums, but per forum rules, you have to first show your relevant equations and an attempt at a solution before anyone can provide assistance. The problem requires that you know how to calculate the magnitude and direction of the weight force of a given mass, and how to resolve the weight vector into its components perpendicular and parallel to the plane, and how to apply Newton's laws. Give it a try! ( No points off for incorrect answers or approach):wink:

Related to Solving Weight of 12 kg Crate Sliding on 35° Platform

1. How does the weight of the crate affect its sliding on the 35° platform?

The weight of the crate affects its sliding on the 35° platform by increasing the force of gravity acting on it. This means that the crate will have a greater tendency to slide downwards due to the increased gravitational force pulling it towards the ground.

2. What role does the angle of the platform play in determining the sliding of the crate?

The angle of the platform plays a crucial role in determining the sliding of the crate. The steeper the angle of the platform, the greater the force of gravity acting on the crate and the faster it will slide down the platform. On the other hand, a shallower angle will result in a slower sliding speed.

3. How does friction affect the sliding of the crate on the platform?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and it plays a significant role in the sliding of the crate on the platform. The presence of friction between the crate and the platform will slow down the sliding speed of the crate and may even prevent it from sliding at all if the frictional force is strong enough.

4. Can the weight of the crate and the angle of the platform be manipulated to control the sliding speed?

Yes, the weight of the crate and the angle of the platform can be manipulated to control the sliding speed. Increasing the weight of the crate or the angle of the platform will result in a faster sliding speed, while decreasing them will result in a slower sliding speed.

5. How can the weight and friction of the crate be measured accurately for this experiment?

The weight of the crate can be measured using a scale or balance. The friction between the crate and the platform can be measured using a force sensor or by calculating the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces. It is important to ensure accurate measurements for reliable results in this experiment.