Solving Wave Packet Problem: Tips & Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses a wave packet defined by an integral and its properties. It shows that the packet can be written in a specific form and that in order for it not to spread, the group and phase velocities must be equal. It also discusses the case for light in vacuum and a different dispersion relation, and the resulting differential equation and wave packet spread.
tornpie
I was wondering if anyone can give me some assistance on a homework problem. Here it is,

Consider a wave packet defined by

[itex]
\begin{equation}
\vec{A}(\vec{r},t)=\int \hat{\mathcal{A}}(\vec{k}-\vec{k_0})
\frac{e^{i(\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega(k)t)}}{(2\pi)^{3/2}}d\vec{k}
\end{equation}
[/itex]

where

[itex]
\hat{\mathcal{A}}(\vec{k}-\vec{k_0})
[/itex]
is a function that is peaked at [itex]\vec{k}=\vec{k_0}[/itex].

(a) Show that this packet can be written in the form

[itex]
\begin{equation}
\vec{A}(\vec{r},t)=e^{i(\vec{k_0}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega(k_0)t)}\mathcal{A}(\vec{r}-v_gt)+\cdots
\end{equation}
[/itex],

where [itex]\vec{v}_g=\vec{v}_{\mathrm{group}}=\vec{\nabla}_k\omega
(k)|_{k_0}[/itex] is the group velocity and [itex]\mathcal{A}(\vec{r}-\vec{v}_g t)[/itex] is a function that is peaked at [itex]\vec{r}=\vec{v}_gt[/itex] Hint: expand [itex]\omega(k)[/itex] around [itex]\vec{k}_0[/itex]

(b) Show that for a wave packet not to "spread", i.e., not change its shape from that given by [itex]\mathcal{A}(\vec{r})[/itex], it is required that [itex]\vec{v}_{\mathrm{group}}=\vec{v}_{\mathrm{phase}}[/itex]. Here [itex]\vec{v}_{\mathrm{phase}}[/itex] is the phase velocity [itex]\vec{v}_{\mathrm{phase}}\equiv\omega/k[/itex].

(c) As a consequence of the condition [itex]\vec{v}_\mathrm{phase}=\vec{v}_\mathrm{group}[/itex] show that [itex]\omega=kc[/itex] which holds for light in a vacuum. Then deduce that the wave equation [itex]\square\vec{A}=0[/itex] follows.

(d) Suppose we had [itex]\omega(k)=bk^2[/itex], where [itex]b[/itex] is some constant. Would the phase and group velocities be the same? What differential equation would you deduce? Would the wave packet maintain its shape?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(a) First, Taylor expand [tex]\omega(k)[/tex] as [tex]\omega(k) = \omega(k_0) + \vec{\nabla}_k\omega(k)|_{k_0} \cdot (\vec{k}-\vec{k_0}) + \cdots[/tex]

Then insert this Taylor expansion, shift dummy variable [tex]\vec{k}=\vec{k'}+\vec{k_0}[/tex] and use the all-important expression of the Dirac peak as its Fourier transform :

[tex]\vec{A}(\vec{r},t)=\int \hat{\mathcal{A}}(\vec{k}-\vec{k_0})
\frac{e^{i(\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega(k)t)}}{(2\pi)^{3/2}}d\vec{k}[/tex]

[tex]=\int \hat{\mathcal{A}}(\vec{k'})
\frac{e^{i\left[(\vec{k'}+\vec{k_0})\cdot\vec{r}-[\omega(k_0) + \vec{k'} \cdot \vec{\nabla}_k\omega(k)|_{k_0} ]t\right]}}{(2\pi)^{3/2}}d\vec{k'}+\cdots[/tex]

[tex]=e^{i(\vec{k_0}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega(k_0)t)}
\int \hat{\mathcal{A}}(\vec{k'})
\frac{e^{i\left[\vec{k'}\cdot (\vec{r}- \vec{\nabla}_k\omega(k)|_{k_0}t)\right]}}{(2\pi)^{3/2}}d\vec{k'}+\cdots[/tex]

[tex]=e^{i(\vec{k_0}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega(k_0)t)}
\int \hat{\mathcal{A}}(\vec{k'})
\frac{e^{i\left[\vec{k'}\cdot (\vec{r}-\vec{v}_gt)\right]}}{(2\pi)^{3/2}}d\vec{k'}+\cdots[/tex]

[tex]\vec{A}(\vec{r},t)=
e^{i(\vec{k_0}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega(k_0)t)}\mathcal{A}(\vec{r}-\vec{v}_gt)+\cdots[/tex]

(b) I need to lower the level of rigor in order to save my time. Damn latex :wink:

[tex]\vec{A}(\vec{r},t)=
e^{i(k r-\omega t)}\mathcal{A}(r-v_gt)+\cdots[/tex]
The wave packet will not spread if
[tex]\vec{A}(r,t)=\vec{A}(r+\delta r,t + \delta t)[/tex] where [tex]\delta r = v_g \delta t[/tex]. It follows that the argument of [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex] is automatically unchanged. So you only need to ensure the invariance of the exponanetial's argument :
[tex]k r-\omega t = k (r+\delta r)-\omega (t + \delta t)[/tex] from which [tex]k\delta r -\omega\delta t =0[/tex] and hence [tex]\frac{\delta r}{\delta t}=\frac{\omega}{k}=v_g[/tex]

(c)For light in vacuum, [tex]v_g=c[/tex] so [tex]\omega = k c[/tex]
From the invariance of [tex]\mathcal{A}[/tex], you only need to work with the exponential (again) when you deal with differential equations.
You can readily see that the operator (adjust in case you use a different metric signature) [tex]\square = \frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2}-\frac{\partial^2}{\partial r^2}=\frac{\omega^2}{c^2}-k^2=0[/tex]

(d) With this other dispersion relation, the velocities become unequal. [tex]v_p=\omega/k[/tex] is always valid, but [tex]v_g = \frac{d\omega}{d k}=b k[/tex].
The new differential equation can be expected to be
[tex]\frac{1}{b^2}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2}-\frac{\partial^4}{\partial r^4}=0[/tex] and the wavepacket will spread.

This is not a great do for me today. I abandonned my fight against the craniale-size/intelligence lobby, and I forgot the basic rule in homework help : provide only hints[/i] not answers... I am sorry, I shall better go sleeping before making another mystake.

Thanks a million. Don't worry about ruining it for me. I will learn each step. I need to learn this packet stuff in a hurry for the future homeworks and tests.

I gave it a pretty fair shot, and I was close to getting it.

You're welcome. It took me a little while, but it was worth for me too. Except that, i am not absolutely certain for the last question, especially the differential equation.

Quite a problem to be on Homework #1 lol.

Related to Solving Wave Packet Problem: Tips & Guide

1. What is a wave packet?

A wave packet is a localized, non-dispersive solution to a wave equation. It is a combination of multiple waves with different frequencies and wavelengths, all centered around a specific point in space.

2. What is the wave packet problem?

The wave packet problem is a mathematical problem that involves solving for the time-dependent behavior of a localized wave packet. It is commonly encountered in quantum mechanics and other fields that deal with wave phenomena.

3. What are some tips for solving the wave packet problem?

Some tips for solving the wave packet problem include understanding the underlying wave equation, using appropriate mathematical techniques such as Fourier transforms, and carefully considering initial conditions and boundary conditions.

4. How can I use the wave packet solution in my research?

The wave packet solution has many practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and chemistry. It can be used to analyze and predict the behavior of localized wave phenomena, such as particle motion in a quantum system.

5. Are there any common pitfalls when solving the wave packet problem?

One common pitfall when solving the wave packet problem is neglecting certain terms or assumptions in the wave equation, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It is important to carefully consider all relevant factors and use proper mathematical techniques to avoid these pitfalls.