Solving Vertical Circular Motion Homework Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of tension in a vertical circle motion of a ball attached to a string. In the first scenario, with a mass of 500 g, a speed of 2 m/s, and a string length of 50 cm, the tension is found to be -1 N at the top of the trajectory, indicating a loose string and a parabolic path. In the second scenario, with a maximum tension of 90 N and a minimum tension of 10 N, the mass and linear speed cannot be determined without additional information on the length of the string and the speed of the mass.
songoku

Homework Statement

1. A ball is tied to a string then moved so that its trajectory is vertical circle. If the mass of the ball is 500 g, the speed is 2 m/s, and the length of string is 50 cm, find the tension when it is at the top of the trajectory

2. A mass m is tied to a string and moved so that its trajectory is vertical circle. The maximum and minimum value of the tension are 90 N and 10 N respectively. Determine the mass and linear speed of the mass

Homework Equations

F = mv2/r
W = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

1. T = mv2/r - mg = 4 - 5 = -1 N ?
It is possible that at the top of its motion, the tension becomes loose and yet it still moves in circle? If not, where is my mistake?

2. maximum when it is at bottom and minimum when it is at top
at bottom: 90 = mg + mv2/r
at top: 10 = mv2/r - mg

By elimination, I got m = 4 kg but I can't find v. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
These are not well-posed questions. Your analysis of 1 is correct. If the tension is negative, this means that the string is loose and the path of the mass is as in free fall, a parabolic trajectory and no longer a circle. Question 2 does not specify the length of the string and does not say that the mass is moving at constant speed. If you assume that the string has length 50 cm as in the previous problem and that the mass moves at constant speed, then you should be able to answer the question because you have the correct equations.

Sorry for replying now

Is it better to answer T = 0 N or T = -1 N? (I think it's impossible tension has negative value)

Thanks

It is better to answer T = 0. You can't push on something with a rope.

Ok. Thanks kuruman :smile:

Related to Solving Vertical Circular Motion Homework Problems

1. What is the formula for solving vertical circular motion problems?

The formula for solving vertical circular motion problems is v = √(gr), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and r is the radius of the circle.

2. How do I determine the direction of the velocity in vertical circular motion?

The direction of the velocity in vertical circular motion is always tangent to the circular path at any given point. This means that the velocity will be perpendicular to the radius of the circle at that point.

3. How do I calculate the centripetal acceleration in vertical circular motion?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle. In vertical circular motion, the centripetal acceleration will always be directed towards the center of the circle.

4. What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal force in vertical circular motion?

Centripetal force is the inward force that is required to keep an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the outward force that is experienced by the object due to its inertia. In vertical circular motion, the centripetal force is provided by the tension in the string or the normal force from the track, while the centrifugal force is not a real force but rather an apparent force that arises from the object's tendency to resist changes in its motion.

5. How can I use energy conservation to solve vertical circular motion problems?

In vertical circular motion, the total mechanical energy (kinetic + potential) of the object is conserved, as there is no external force acting on the object in the vertical direction. This means that the initial kinetic energy of the object will be equal to the final kinetic energy plus the final potential energy. By setting up and solving the appropriate equations, you can use energy conservation to solve for unknown variables in vertical circular motion problems.