Solving Vector Norm with F Matrix: Advice from Jo

In summary, when given a square matrix F and a vector q, the solution to finding a vector q that meets the requirement of norm(F*q)=1 is to choose q = v/||Fv|| where v is any vector where Fv is not equal to 0. This results in a solution of k = sqrt(1/(a^2 + e^2 + h^2)) for the vector q.
jollage
Hi guys

Assume F to be a square matrix, say 3 by 3. Now I want to find a vector q (3 by 1) to meet the requirement that norm(F*q)=1. How can I find it? What is the solution in general?

THanks in advance!
Jo

Physics news on Phys.org
jollage said:
Hi guys

Assume F to be a square matrix, say 3 by 3. Now I want to find a vector q (3 by 1) to meet the requirement that norm(F*q)=1. How can I find it? What is the solution in general?

THanks in advance!
Jo

Let v be any vector s.t. [itex]Fv\neq 0[/itex] and let [itex]q:=\frac{v}{||Fv||}[/itex]

DonAntonio

a b c * [k l m]' = [ak+bl+cm, ek+fl+gm, hk+il+jm]'
e f g
h i j

So we need (k, l , m) such that:
(ak+bl+cm)^2+ (ek+fl+gm)^2 + (hk+il+jm)^2 = 1

Answer, first chose l = m = 0, so we need:
a^2 + e^2 + h^2 = 1/k^2

or k = sqrt (1/(a^2 + e^2 + h^2))

Related to Solving Vector Norm with F Matrix: Advice from Jo

1. What is a vector norm?

A vector norm is a mathematical concept that measures the size or length of a vector. It is used in various applications, such as in physics, engineering, and computer science, to quantify the magnitude of a vector.

2. How is a vector norm calculated?

A vector norm is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squared components of the vector. This can be represented by the formula ||x|| = √(x1² + x2² + ... + xn²).

3. What is the purpose of solving vector norm with F matrix?

The purpose of solving vector norm with F matrix is to simplify the calculation process and to provide a more efficient way of calculating the vector norm. The F matrix is a diagonal matrix that contains the square roots of the individual components of the vector, which can be used to easily calculate the vector norm.

4. How does Jo's advice help with solving vector norm with F matrix?

Jo's advice provides a step-by-step approach to solving vector norm with F matrix. It includes tips on how to choose the appropriate F matrix, how to multiply the matrix with the vector, and how to calculate the norm using the resulting values. This advice can help make the process more clear and manageable.

5. Can solving vector norm with F matrix be used in other applications?

Yes, solving vector norm with F matrix can be used in various applications where calculating the vector norm is necessary. It can also be extended to solve other mathematical problems that involve vectors and matrices.