Solving Vector Field Flux with Gauss & Stokes

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is zero using both Gauss and Stokes' theorems. The participants suggest starting with the definitions and using identities and theorems to simplify the integral. They also mention the option of splitting the surface into two and using logic to prove the flux is zero.
galipop
Hi folks,

I'm working on the following problem...

Show that the flux of the vector field [tex]\nabla \times A[/tex] through a closed surface is zero. Use both Gauss and Stokes.

Where can I begin?

Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
From the definitions. What is the flux over a closed surface, and what do the mentioned theorems allow you to do to integrals etc, and what identities do you know that might be useful. write them ot and use them.

Ok I started using this...

[tex]\nabla\times A = (\frac{\partial r}{\partial y}-\frac{\partial q}{\partial z})i + (\frac{\partial p}{\partial z}-\frac{\partial r}{\partial x})j+(\frac{\partial q}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial p}{\partial y})k[/tex]

Then...Gauss theorem

[tex]\int_V (\nabla \bullet A) dV [/tex]

So do I basically substitute the top eqn into Gauss's theorem?

Thanks

Yes - and I don't think you need Stokes' theorem in this.

the easiest way i can think of is taking a closed surface and splitting it into two surfaces with a single curve, then applying what you know about Stokes's theorem to the necessary values of the flux on the two surfaces. for example, consider a spherical surface, and then choose the equator as the defining curve. almost no equations needed, just plain logic. of course you could do the substitution of the derivatives and then show that the expression in the integral is zero using Gauss's theorem, but that's more writing (depending on if your teacher makes you prove the vector identity). i think that the first explanation is more "physically" satisfying.

Last edited:

Related to Solving Vector Field Flux with Gauss & Stokes

1. What is a vector field flux?

A vector field flux is a measure of the flow of a vector field through a surface or region. It represents the amount of fluid, energy, or any other quantity passing through a given surface per unit time.

2. How is vector field flux solved using Gauss's law?

Gauss's law for vector fields states that the flux through a closed surface is equal to the integral of the divergence of the vector field over the enclosed volume. To solve for the flux, we calculate the divergence at each point in the region and then integrate over the entire volume.

3. How is vector field flux solved using Stokes' theorem?

Stokes' theorem states that the flux of a vector field through a surface is equal to the line integral of the vector field around the boundary of the surface. This allows us to calculate the flux by evaluating the line integral of the vector field along the boundary of the surface.

4. What are the applications of solving vector field flux with Gauss & Stokes?

Solving vector field flux with Gauss & Stokes is important in many fields, such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It is used to calculate the flow of fluids, the distribution of electric and magnetic fields, and the transfer of heat and energy.

5. Are there any limitations to using Gauss & Stokes to solve vector field flux?

While Gauss & Stokes' theorems are powerful tools for solving vector field flux, they have limitations. They only apply to conservative vector fields, and the surfaces and regions must be well-defined and continuous. Additionally, the calculations can become complex for more complicated vector fields and surfaces.