Solving Umax with Pmax and Ohms

• Thread starter Ren_Majer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ohms
In summary, the person is trying to relearn physics before starting a mandatory course at a university. They are attempting to solve textbook tasks and are looking for thorough explanations. The conversation then turns to a specific problem involving voltage and resistance in a series circuit. The solution involves calculating the power dissipated in each resistor and discussing the thermal limit of the resistors.
Ren_Majer
Brief personal intro, I have last time studied physics about 12 years ago.

I am now starting in 2 weeks time in a university and there is mandatory physics course so I am trying to relearn and learn as much as I can before that time.

For that reason I am trying to solve textbook tasks from my old physics books.

I have never been good at maths nor physics atleast not calculations. Thus I appreciate thorough-Step by Step explanations so I can understand the solution.

Thank you for your time

Homework Statement

How large voltage U , can be attached to the circuit , when both the resistance have an Pmax of 0,25 W ?

R1 = 120Ω
R2=180Ω

They are in series.

Answer is :
Umax = 11

Homework Equations

P = U * I
U = R * I

The Attempt at a Solution

0,25*120= 0,002083333333
0,25*180= 0,003888888889

0,002083333333 + 0,003888888889=0,00347222222

0,00347222222*120 = 0,416666664
0,00347222222*180 = 0,624999996

4,16666664+6,24999996= 10,41666666

Physics news on Phys.org
Since they're in series, they have the same current through them. If you start with a low current and slowly ramp it up, do you know which of the resistors will reach its thermal limit first?

milesyoung said:
Since they're in series, they have the same current through them. If you start with a low current and slowly ramp it up, do you know which of the resistors will reach its thermal limit first?

No , it is not mentioned on the task nor which direction the current will go

Ren_Majer said:
No , it is not mentioned on the task nor which direction the current will go
Just assume that you can control the current through the resistors, I promise you that I'll get to the point shortly :smile:

Say you have a current of 1 A through the resistors. How much power is then dissipated in each resistor?

Umax= 10,41666666V

Hello, as a fellow scientist, I can understand your desire to relearn and brush up on your physics knowledge before starting your university course. It's great that you are taking the initiative to solve textbook problems and improve your understanding.

Now, to solve this problem, we can use the equations you mentioned: P = U * I and U = R * I. We know that the maximum power for both resistors (R1 and R2) is 0.25 W. We also know that they are in series, which means that the same current flows through both resistors.

To find the maximum voltage (Umax) that can be applied to the circuit, we need to find the maximum current (Imax) first. We can do this by substituting Pmax = 0.25 W and R1 = 120Ω into the equation P = U * I:

0.25 = U * I
0.25 = U * (Imax)
Imax = 0.25/U

Now, we can use this value for Imax and substitute it into the equation U = R * I, along with the value for R2 = 180Ω, to find Umax:

Umax = R2 * Imax
Umax = 180Ω * (0.25/U)
Umax = 45V

Therefore, the maximum voltage that can be applied to the circuit is 45V. I hope this explanation helps you understand the solution better. Keep up the good work and good luck with your studies!

Related to Solving Umax with Pmax and Ohms

1. What is Umax and Pmax in terms of electricity?

Umax stands for maximum voltage, which is the highest amount of electrical potential energy that can be obtained from a power source. Pmax refers to maximum power, which is the maximum amount of work that can be done by an electrical circuit.

2. How is Ohm's law related to solving for Umax with Pmax?

According to Ohm's law, the voltage (U) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). This means that in order to solve for Umax with Pmax, we need to know the current and resistance values in the circuit.

3. What is the formula for calculating Umax with Pmax and Ohms?

The formula for calculating Umax with Pmax and Ohms is Umax = √(Pmax x R), where Umax is the maximum voltage, Pmax is the maximum power, and R is the resistance.

4. Can Umax be greater than Pmax?

No, Umax cannot be greater than Pmax. This is because Pmax is the maximum amount of power that can be obtained from a circuit, and voltage is directly proportional to power. Therefore, if Umax is greater than Pmax, it would mean that the circuit is generating more power than it is capable of.

5. How can solving for Umax with Pmax and Ohms be useful in practical applications?

Solving for Umax with Pmax and Ohms can be useful in various practical applications, such as designing electrical circuits, calculating the maximum load that a circuit can handle, and determining the maximum voltage that can be safely applied to a circuit without damaging it.