Solving Trigonometric Identities: Tips and Examples

• Thread starter enibaraliu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    identities
In summary, there are five identities given in this conversation, and the first one appears to be an identity. The others require further clarification and substitution of values to determine if they are identities. Additionally, the last two equations involve trigonometric functions that can be manipulated using double-angle and half-angle formulas.
enibaraliu
Please help me in these identities!

I tried to solve these identities, but I don't think that these are identities exept the first,
1.) sin2α/1+cos2α=tanα
2.) 1-cosα/sinα=tanα/2
3.) tanα+ctanα=csecα
4.) 3cosα+cos3α/3sinα-sin3α=3/2
5.) sin18°+sin30°=sin54

At first i did this:
sin2α=2sinα*cosα
cos2α=cos^2α-sin^2α
1=cos^2α+sin^2α
sin2α/1+cos2α=2sinα*cosα/cos^2α+sin^2α+cos^2α-sin^2α=...=tanα

But I don't know what to do eith others i tried to substitute tanα=sinα/cosα and etc but no solve ,
please help me

Physics news on Phys.org

please , I need help

You don't have a single parenthesis in what you show, which probably means that what you think you wrote and what people will read are different.

For example, in 1, you have sin2α/1+cos2α=tanα.
Is 1 + cos2a in the denominator? If so, write the equation this way:
sin2α/(1+cos2α)=tanα

In 2, do you mean
(1-cosα)/sinα=(tanα)/2 or
(1-cosα)/sinα=tan(α/2) or something else?

In 4, do you mean (3cosα+cos3α)/(3sinα-sin3α)=3/2?

In the last equation you wrote, you have cos^2a. Do you mean cos^2(a)? You probably do, because cos^(2a) doesn't make any sense.

Please clarify what you meant for 1, 2, and 4. By that, I mean, if the numerator or denominator (or both) has more than one term, put parentheses around the terms in the numerator and/or denominator.

Number 5 appears to be true, assuming that what you have on the right side is sin 54°.

Try if these are identities

sin18°+sin30°=sin54°

(cos36°)^2 + (sin18°)^2=3/4, please help on these

I believe that the first one is an identity. The right side is sin(3*18°), and I would start with it.
sin(3*18°) = sin(2*18° + 18°) = sin(2*18°)cos(18°) + cos(2*18°)sin(18°). Now use the double-angle formulas on that expression and see if that helps. Also, sin(30°) = 1/2.

For the second, cos(36°) = cos(2*18°). What can you do with that?

Related to Solving Trigonometric Identities: Tips and Examples

1. What are identities in mathematics?

Identities in mathematics are mathematical expressions or equations that are true for all values of the variables involved. They are often used to simplify complex expressions or to prove other mathematical concepts.

2. How can I show that two expressions are equal using identities?

You can show that two expressions are equal by manipulating them using known identities. For example, if you have an expression on one side of the equation and an equivalent expression on the other side, you can use identities to transform one into the other, thus proving their equality.

3. Are there different types of identities in mathematics?

Yes, there are different types of identities, such as trigonometric identities, logarithmic identities, and algebraic identities. Each type is used to simplify expressions or solve problems in their respective areas of mathematics.

4. Can identities be used to solve equations?

Yes, identities can be used to solve equations. By manipulating equations using identities, you can often simplify them and make them easier to solve.

5. How can I remember all the identities in mathematics?

While it may seem overwhelming to remember all the identities in mathematics, the key is to understand the concept behind each identity rather than trying to memorize them. With practice and application, you will become more familiar with them and be able to use them effectively.