Solving Trigonometric Equations with Excel (Vista)

In summary, to reverse the number of an angle from radians to degrees in Excel, you can use the functions =RADIANS(Angle) and =DEGREES(Angle). This is necessary for accurate calculations using trigonometric functions. It is also possible to simply divide the angle in degrees by 57.29577951 to convert to radians. However, most software and computer languages use radians, so it is recommended to become familiar with using them.
drizzle
Gold Member
:blushing:

using excel (vista) how can I reverse the number to be in degrees rather than radians if I want to use trigonometric functions? I have to reverse the number of the angle in radian to use those functions and I want them to be in degrees, anyone know how, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
=RADIANS (Angle)
=DEGREES(Angle)

thanks mgb_phys, but I have this data of angles [in degrees], and I want to calculate cos/sin of these angles, and I have to convert them to radians in order to get the trigonometric functions correctly, i.e.
if I type in a cell [=sin(90)] I get this value [0.893997], while [=sin(radians(90))] would give the correct answer which is 1, does it have to be in radians to get those functions correct? is it not possible to have these function in the form of [sin(number in degrees)]?

[I know they would give the same results, but I want them to be in degrees]

Yes you have to do =sin(radians(90))

You could just divide the angle in degrees by 57.29577951 to convert to radians.

You'll find most software, along with computer languages use radians. Might as well get used to it.

Related to Solving Trigonometric Equations with Excel (Vista)

What is Excel (Vista)?

Excel (Vista) is a spreadsheet program developed by Microsoft that is used for creating, organizing, and analyzing data.

How can Excel (Vista) be used to solve trigonometric equations?

Excel (Vista) has built-in functions for trigonometric calculations, such as SIN, COS, and TAN, which can be used to solve trigonometric equations. These functions can be entered into cells along with the equation to calculate the values for the variables.

What are the advantages of using Excel (Vista) to solve trigonometric equations?

Excel (Vista) allows for quick and accurate calculations, making it a useful tool for solving complex trigonometric equations. It also has the ability to handle large amounts of data, making it suitable for analyzing and graphing trigonometric functions.

Are there any limitations to using Excel (Vista) to solve trigonometric equations?

One limitation of using Excel (Vista) is that it can only handle real numbers, so it may not be suitable for solving equations involving complex numbers. Additionally, Excel (Vista) may not provide exact solutions for some trigonometric equations, as it uses numerical methods for calculations.

Are there any tips for using Excel (Vista) to solve trigonometric equations?

It is important to familiarize yourself with the different trigonometric functions and how to use them in Excel (Vista). It may also be helpful to use the "Solver" tool in Excel (Vista) to find more precise solutions for equations that cannot be solved using the built-in functions.