Solving trigonometric equation of a sum of unknowns

In summary, the equation for sin(x+y) can be solved by re-writing it as a sine equation and using the sum-difference formula.
teetar

Homework Statement

[itex]\sin (x) = \frac{2}{3}[/itex] and [itex]\sec (y) = \frac{5}{4}[/itex], where [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] lie between 0 and [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] evaluate [itex]\sin (x + y)[/itex]

Homework Equations

Looked over some trig laws, don't think I saw anything that's too relevant. There [itex]\sec (x) = \frac{1}{\sin (x)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't think of anything. Assuming I'm not an idiot, I can simply re-write the secant equation as another sine equation:
[tex]\sec (y) = \frac{5}{4} \longrightarrow \sin (y) = \frac{4}{5}[/tex]
So then we know [itex]\sin (x) = \frac{2}{3}[/itex] and [itex]\sin (y) = \frac{4}{5}[/itex]. From here we can do some inverse sines and substitute in [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] in [itex] \sin (x+y)[/itex], but that looks awful and worse to solve ([itex]\sin (\sin ^{-1} (\frac{2}{3}) + \sin ^{-1} (\frac{4}{5})[/itex]).

Can anyone give me a hint as to the proper next step I should take to evaluate this equation?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can gain a better understanding by constructing the relevant triangles. sec(y) = 1/cos(y) and cos(y)=4/5 suggests a 3-4-5 triangle... so sin(y)=3/5 and so on. Maybe you can relate sin(A+B) to combinations of sinAsinB, sinAcosB etc?

Likes thelema418
There is a formula ##\sin(\alpha + \beta) =## that will lead to the solution.

I don't know whether you have covered complex numbers yet but the formula is quite trivial to derive then. Start with:

##\cos(\alpha + \beta) + i\sin(\alpha + \beta) = e^{i(\alpha + \beta)} = \dots##

Now, using the rules of complex numbers and exponentiation, and after comparing the real and imaginary parts, you should be able to find the formula that leads you to the answer, assuming you have already seen complex numbers.

teetar said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\sin (x) = \frac{2}{3}[/itex] and [itex]\sec (y) = \frac{5}{4}[/itex], where [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] lie between 0 and [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] evaluate [itex]\sin (x + y)[/itex]

Homework Equations

Looked over some trig laws, don't think I saw anything that's too relevant. There [itex]\sec (x) = \frac{1}{\sin (x)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't think of anything. Assuming I'm not an idiot, I can simply re-write the secant equation as another sine equation:
[tex]\sec (y) = \frac{5}{4} \longrightarrow \sin (y) = \frac{4}{5}[/tex]
So then we know [itex]\sin (x) = \frac{2}{3}[/itex] and [itex]\sin (y) = \frac{4}{5}[/itex]. From here we can do some inverse sines and substitute in [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] in [itex] \sin (x+y)[/itex], but that looks awful and worse to solve ([itex]\sin (\sin ^{-1} (\frac{2}{3}) + \sin ^{-1} (\frac{4}{5})[/itex]).

Can anyone give me a hint as to the proper next step I should take to evaluate this equation?

Thanks for any help!

You have ##\sec(x)## given incorrectly: ##\sec(x) = \frac{1}{\cos(x)}##, NOT ##\frac{1}{\sin(x)}##.

See, eg., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_functions .

Likes thelema418
Simon Bridge said:
You can gain a better understanding by constructing the relevant triangles. sec(y) = 1/cos(y) and cos(y)=4/5 suggests a 3-4-5 triangle... so sin(y)=3/5 and so on. Maybe you can relate sin(A+B) to combinations of sinAsinB, sinAcosB etc?
Thanks a bunch for your response! First issue, I was so tired last night that I mixed up secant and cosecant. Correctly transforming secant into cosine (instead of sine) would let me use the sum-difference formula: [itex]\sin (x+y) = \sin (x)\cos (y) + \cos (x)\sin (y)[/itex]. I have values for [itex]\sin (x)[/itex] and [itex]\cos (y)[/itex], but not for [itex]\sin (y)[/itex] and [itex]\sin (y)[/itex].

Using your insights on solving this more visually, I deduced that [itex]\cos (x) = \frac{\sqrt{5}}{3}[/itex] and, as you stated, [itex]\sin (y) = \frac{3}{5}[/itex]. I can then fully solve the equation:
[tex]\sin (x+y) = \sin (x)\cos (y) + \cos (x)\sin (y) = \frac{2}{3} \times \frac{4}{5} + \frac{\sqrt{5}}{3} \times \frac{3}{5} = \frac{8}{15} = \frac{\sqrt{5}}{5} = \frac{8 + 3\sqrt{5}}{15}[/tex]

This turned out to be the correct answer, however I'm confused as to how it was possible. The assumption allowing us to get values for [itex]\sin (y)[/itex] and [itex]\sin (y)[/itex] would be that the triangle in question is a right triangle. How is this assumption possible? Am I just missing something blatantly obvious as to why this is a right triangle?

teetar said:
This turned out to be the correct answer, however I'm confused as to how it was possible. The assumption allowing us to get values for [itex]\sin (y)[/itex] and [itex]\sin (y)[/itex] would be that the triangle in question is a right triangle. How is this assumption possible? Am I just missing something blatantly obvious as to why this is a right triangle?
From your OP:
[itex]\sin (x) = \frac{2}{3}[/itex] and [itex]\sec (y) = \frac{5}{4}[/itex], where [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] lie between 0 and [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]
Does this answer your question?

Also, from the first equation above, since sin(x) > 0, x must be in the first or second quadrant. From the second equation, since sec(y) > 0, y has to be in the first or fourth quadrant. For both to be true, x and y have to be in the first quadrant, which is also stated explicitly in the last part of what I quoted.

teetar said:
The assumption allowing us to get values for sin(y)sin⁡(y)\sin (y) and sin(y)sin⁡(y)\sin (y) would be that the triangle in question is a right triangle
It is not so much that there is a triangle "in question". It is the basic definition of sine and cosine (before being extended to arguments outside the range 0 to π/2). If you construct a right triangle in which one angle is theta then sine theta is opposite / hypotenuse and cosine is adjacent/hypotenuse.
Or you can use sin2+cos2=1, and use the given ranges to know to take the positive square root.

haruspex said:
It is not so much that there is a triangle "in question". It is the basic definition of sine and cosine (before being extended to arguments outside the range 0 to π/2). If you construct a right triangle in which one angle is theta then sine theta is opposite / hypotenuse and cosine is adjacent/hypotenuse.
Or you can use sin2+cos2=1, and use the given ranges to know to take the positive square root.
OHH okay, I was skipping over a pretty fundamental idea there, but I think I get it now. Makes my question, about why we know it's a right triangle, seem pretty silly now.

Thanks for all the input in helping me find the answer, everyone!

Related to Solving trigonometric equation of a sum of unknowns

1. What is a trigonometric equation of a sum of unknowns?

A trigonometric equation of a sum of unknowns is an equation that involves trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) and unknown variables. These unknown variables are typically represented by letters such as x, y, or theta. In these equations, the goal is to solve for the unknown variables using trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation.

2. How do I start solving a trigonometric equation of a sum of unknowns?

The first step in solving a trigonometric equation of a sum of unknowns is to identify the trigonometric functions involved and any given values or restrictions. Then, you can use trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation to simplify the equation and isolate the unknown variables. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or use a trigonometric table to visualize the problem.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities used to solve equations with sums of unknowns?

Some common trigonometric identities used in solving equations with sums of unknowns include the Pythagorean identities (sin²x + cos²x = 1 and tan²x + 1 = sec²x), the double angle identities (sin2x = 2sinx cosx and cos2x = cos²x - sin²x), and the sum and difference identities (sin(x ± y) = sinx cos y ± cosx sin y and cos(x ± y) = cosx cos y ∓ sinx sin y).

4. What should I do if I encounter an equation with multiple unknowns?

If you encounter an equation with multiple unknowns, you can use the trigonometric identities to reduce the number of unknowns and simplify the equation. You may also need to use algebraic techniques such as factoring, substitution, or the quadratic formula to solve for the remaining unknown variables. It is important to keep track of your steps and check your solutions to ensure they satisfy the original equation.

5. Are there any tips for solving trigonometric equations of sums of unknowns?

Some tips for solving trigonometric equations of sums of unknowns include: being familiar with the trigonometric identities, carefully checking your work, and being patient and persistent. It can also be helpful to practice with different types of problems and seek assistance from a teacher or tutor if you encounter difficulties.