Solving Torque Problem with Robot Leg - Help Needed

• Thread starter tombot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary, tombot is having trouble understanding how to calculate the torque required to keep a robot's leg from collapsing. The picture provided shows a robot leg with a 135 degree angle joint, and tombot is at a loss as to how to calculate the torque required to resist the 333g force required to make the joint collapse. TomThread moved to Homework Help forums.
tombot
Hi all,

just having a little trouble getting my head into the following problem.

(See attached picture)

The picture shows a robot leg, assuming the rest of the leg joins onto something rigid, I need to calculate the torque the motor is required to have to resist the 333g making it collapse.

I'm at a loss with this, any help appreciated!

many thanks

Tom

Attachments

• moments.jpg
    moments.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 289
Physics news on Phys.org
Thread moved to Homework Help forums. Welcome to the PF, tombot. Please keep in mind the PF rule that homework and coursework problems are to be posted here in the Homework Help forums, and not in the general forums.

On your question, is the 135 degree angle joint free to pivot? If so, I don't see how a motor at A is going to do anything to keep everything above the 135 degree joint from coming down. Is there more to this problem than is shown?

The leg is one of 6 made for my hexapod robot, the 135 degree angle shown does not pivot.

Imagine that there is an identical leg connected to the one in the diagram, and 3 leg pairs in this fashion. At any given time the robot will have a tripod in contact with the ground...
__
_______ ________/
/ \ goes to /
| | |

Heres a pic of my robot: http://www.tombot.net/beam/pics/radar_built4.jpg

Thanks

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm the sketch didn't translate to the board... hopefully the robot pic will suffice?

I have been thinking about the problem some more...

I have resolved the force into x and y components, making the assumption that the force will travel down the top of the leg to the 135 degree angle. The force of course is split equally due tot he angle, thus 167g into the x and 167 into the y from the 135 degree point of the leg.

I am not sure if I am proceeding in the correct way? any pointers? :rolleyes:

The picture helped. I'm not sure of the easiest way to procede, but from picturing how the robot will fall if the motor torques are not enough, I would be inclined to draw the diagram showing two opposing legs with two motors, and the horizontal piece connecting the two legs. I know the problem is left-right mirror symmetric, but it's hard for me to picture how to draw the free body diagram without something connected to the horizontal bar on both ends. Does that help at all?

Related to Solving Torque Problem with Robot Leg - Help Needed

1. What is torque and how does it relate to robot legs?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In the case of robot legs, torque is important because it determines the amount of force needed to move the legs and maintain their position.

2. How can I calculate torque for my robot leg?

To calculate torque, you will need to know the length of the leg, the force applied to it, and the angle at which the force is applied. The formula for torque is torque = force x distance x sin(angle).

3. What factors can affect torque in a robot leg?

There are several factors that can affect torque in a robot leg, including the weight and design of the leg, the type of motor used, and the surface on which the leg is moving. Friction and resistance can also impact torque.

4. How can I increase torque in my robot leg?

There are a few ways to increase torque in a robot leg. One way is to use a motor with a higher torque rating. You can also adjust the design of the leg to reduce weight and friction, as well as use stronger materials. Additionally, changing the angle at which the force is applied can also increase torque.

5. Can I use the same torque calculation for all types of robot legs?

No, the torque calculation may vary depending on the design and function of the robot leg. For example, a leg that needs to support more weight may require a higher torque calculation, while a leg that needs to move quickly may require a different calculation to optimize speed and power.