Solving Titration Problems: NaOH + Oxalic Acid

• Thread starter ASidd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titration
In summary, the conversation revolves around the discrepancies in the results of a titration experiment involving NaOH and oxalic acid. The speaker obtained varying results despite being careful with their equipment and procedure. The use of an indicator and the suggestion of the titration procedure are also mentioned as potential factors affecting the results."
ASidd
I am doing titration of NaOH with oxalic acid at school and none of my results are close together at all.

I got
1. 26.6 mL
2. 27 mL (although I want to discount this since I wasn't very careful with this)
3. 25.5 mL
4. 26 mL
5. 25.3 mL (For this titration I realized that there was some insoluble material at the bottom of my conical flask. Thus I wanted to discount this as well for possible risk of contamination)

Can someone explain any possible reasons for such large discrepancies? I have been very careful washed all my equipment etc. but still got bad results.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hard to say anything. At least please describe the procedure you are following.

It's just a simple titration. Measure 25 mL of NaOH solution (with unknown concentration) using a pipette and titrate it using 0.05M oxalic acid.

OK, judging from your description you didn't use any indicator to determine the end point. In such a case I am quite surprised your results are that consistent.

No I used phenolphthalein indicator. I thought in titration's it's kind of expected that an indicator will be used;hence didn't mention it in my previous post.

Different indicators will yield different results, so it is a crucial information.

Was this procedure suggested to you? Titrating oxalic acid with NaOH against phenolphthalein makes sense, but the reverse titration is a rather unorthodox idea, especially taking into account possible contamination of NaOH with carbonates. Effectively that would mean titration of a weak base with a weak acid, which never yields sharp end points.

Related to Solving Titration Problems: NaOH + Oxalic Acid

1. How do I determine the concentration of NaOH or oxalic acid in a titration?

To determine the concentration of NaOH or oxalic acid, you will need to use the titration formula: M1V1 = M2V2. M1 represents the initial molarity of the solution being titrated (in this case, either NaOH or oxalic acid), V1 represents the initial volume of the solution, M2 represents the final molarity of the solution (which will be the same for both NaOH and oxalic acid), and V2 represents the final volume of the solution. Rearrange the formula to solve for M1, and you will have the concentration of the solution being titrated.

2. How do I know when to stop adding the titrant in a titration?

You can determine when to stop adding the titrant by using an indicator or by monitoring the pH of the solution. An indicator is a substance that changes color when the endpoint (equivalence point) of the titration is reached. Alternatively, you can use a pH meter to monitor the pH of the solution. The endpoint is reached when the pH stops changing and remains constant for a period of time.

3. Can I use any indicator for a titration involving NaOH and oxalic acid?

No, not all indicators are suitable for a titration involving NaOH and oxalic acid. This is because the equivalence point of this titration is at a pH of 7, so you will need an indicator that changes color around this pH. Phenolphthalein is a commonly used indicator for this type of titration as it changes from colorless to pink around a pH of 8.

4. What is the purpose of standardization in titrations involving NaOH and oxalic acid?

Standardization is the process of determining the exact concentration of a solution. In titrations involving NaOH and oxalic acid, standardization is necessary because the exact concentration of the titrant (NaOH) or the analyte (oxalic acid) may vary from the expected concentration. Standardization helps ensure the accuracy and precision of the titration results.

5. Can I use the titration formula for dilute solutions of NaOH and oxalic acid?

Yes, the titration formula (M1V1 = M2V2) can be used for titrations involving dilute solutions of NaOH and oxalic acid. However, it is important to note that the volumes used in the titration should be measured accurately in order to obtain reliable results. Additionally, for dilute solutions, it is recommended to use a larger volume of the titrant to improve the accuracy of the results.