Solving Tire Nail Height & Distance Problems: Grade 11

In summary, the nail will be at a height of 20cm above the ground after the car has traveled 0.1km, and the car will have traveled a total of 10 000 cm.
eleventhxhour
8) The diameter of a car's tire is 52cm. While the car is being driven, the tire picks up a nail.
a) Draw a graph of the height of the nail above the ground in terms of the distance the car has traveled since the tire picked up the nail.

For this part, I drew a graph with the max 52, the mid 26 and the min 0. However, the graph in the textbook has the max as 26, the mid as 0 and the min as -26. Why is this?

b) How high above the ground will the nail be after the car has traveled 0.1km?
c) How far will the car have traveled when the nail reaches a height of 20cm above the ground for a fifth time?

And then I'm not really sure how to do b and c. I got that there would be 61.23 full rotations (10 000 / 163.28 = 61.23) for b, but then I'm not sure what to do after that.

Could someone explain in relatively simple terms? (this is just grade 11).

Thanks! (:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
eleventhxhour said:
For this part, I drew a graph with the max 52, the mid 26 and the min 0. However, the graph in the textbook has the max as 26, the mid as 0 and the min as -26. Why is this?
This must be a mistake on the textbook's part.

eleventhxhour said:
b) How high above the ground will the nail be after the car has traveled 0.1km?
And then I'm not really sure how to do b and c.
I recommend writing explicitly the function whose graph you drew for part a). Note that the angle by which the wheel turned since the fateful moment is $\varphi=x/(\pi d)$ where $x$ is the traveled distance in centimeters. Turn $\varphi$ into height $h(x)$. Once you have a formula for $h(x)$, just compute $h(10^4)$.

And, of course, the diameter of the wheel changed after it was punctured, so the rest of the problem does not make sense. (Smile)

Related to Solving Tire Nail Height & Distance Problems: Grade 11

1. How do I calculate the height and distance of a tire nail problem?

The height and distance of a tire nail problem can be calculated using the following formula: h = (d^2)/(4g), where h is the height, d is the distance, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). It is important to make sure that all units are consistent (e.g. meters for distance and meters per second squared for acceleration).

2. What is the significance of solving tire nail height and distance problems?

Solving tire nail height and distance problems is important because it allows us to understand the trajectory of an object and predict its motion. This can be helpful in various real-life situations, such as in sports or engineering, where knowing the height and distance of an object can be crucial for success.

3. How do I determine the initial velocity of the tire nail?

The initial velocity of the tire nail can be determined using the formula v = √(2gh), where v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height. This formula assumes that the object is launched at an angle of 45 degrees.

4. Can I use this formula for objects launched at angles other than 45 degrees?

Yes, the formula v = √(2gh) can also be used for objects launched at angles other than 45 degrees. However, in this case, the height (h) should be replaced with the vertical component of the initial velocity (v0y).

5. How can I check if my calculations for tire nail height and distance are correct?

You can check your calculations by using a physics calculator or by using a graphing tool to plot the calculated height and distance values. Additionally, you can compare your results with data from real-life experiments or simulations to ensure accuracy.