Solving the Yo-yo Problem: Final Velocity Calculation

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the final velocity of a yo-yo after it is released from a crane. The given variables are mass, radius, axle radius, height, and angular acceleration. The solution involves using equations for force, torque, and acceleration, and correcting a mistake of using lowercase "r" instead of uppercase "R". The final velocity is not calculated in the conversation.
meanswing

Homework Statement

A yo-yo has mass of 400 kg and radius of 1.5m. Its axle of rotation has a radius of 0.1m. Its string is attached to a crane. What is its final velocity after it is released.
mass (m)=400 kg
Radius (R)= 1.5 m
axle of yo-yo (r)= 0.1 m
height (h)=57m
angular acceleration (x)= x

Homework Equations

F=ma; I=(1/2)mr^2; a=xr a/r=x

The Attempt at a Solution

F=ma ; Torque=Tr=Ix T=Ix/r

Fnet,y = mg - T = ma

mg - I(a/r)/r = ma

mg = ma + I(a/r)/r

mg/ (m + I/r^2) = a

mg/(m + (1/2)mr^2/r^2 ) = a

a = 6.53 m/s

This doesn't seem right. Can anyone show me my error?

Physics news on Phys.org
well you have calculated the accelertion whereas the question asks for final velocity ...

lol . ok figured it out. i was also using lowercase r instead of uppercase R.

Related to Solving the Yo-yo Problem: Final Velocity Calculation

1. What is the Yo-yo problem and why is it important to solve?

The Yo-yo problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the final velocity of a yo-yo as it falls from a given height. It is important to solve because it helps us understand the principles of conservation of energy and the concept of rotational motion.

2. What are the factors that affect the final velocity of a yo-yo?

The factors that affect the final velocity of a yo-yo include the initial height from which it was dropped, the mass of the yo-yo, and the tension in the string.

3. How can the final velocity of a yo-yo be calculated?

The final velocity of a yo-yo can be calculated using the formula vf = √(2gh + v0^2), where vf is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the initial height, and v0 is the initial velocity (which is usually zero in this problem).

4. What are some real-life applications of solving the yo-yo problem?

Solving the yo-yo problem can help us understand the physics behind other objects in motion, such as a pendulum or a rollercoaster. It can also be applied in engineering and design, for example in creating efficient pulley systems or calculating the speed of a falling object.

5. Are there any limitations to the yo-yo problem and its solution?

Yes, the yo-yo problem assumes ideal conditions, such as a massless string and no air resistance. In real-life situations, these factors may affect the final velocity of a yo-yo and may need to be taken into consideration for more accurate calculations.