Solving the Weight of a Meterstaff with a Dynamometer

In summary, the meter stick, with a weight of 0.12 kg on one end and a weight of 0.50 kg on the other end, is held in place by a dynamometer at the center of the stick. To calculate the force exerted by the dynamometer, we can use the formula torque = force x distance. The weight of 0.50 kg exerts a clockwise torque of 0.5g N-m and the force exerted by the dynamometer is 0.5 m from the pinned end, creating a counter-clockwise torque of 0.5F N-m. The mass of the stick also contributes to the torque, adding a clockwise torque of 0.06g N
Izekid
A meterstaff who weights 0,12 kg is moveable around of it's ends. In the other staff it hangs a weight of 0,50 kg. The staff is hold in a line by a dynamometer, who is fastened in the middle of the staff. What does the dynamometer show?

I take 0,12*0,50*6,67*10^-11 =4,002*10^-12 / 1^2 =4,002*10^-12

Which is totaly wrong this should be -11

tell me how to do this I am totaly lost

Physics news on Phys.org
I am also lost. I got that way trying to read your problem, Could you look for a better translation?

Actually, not bad English- not compared to my (put whatever language you like here!).

You have a meter stick pinned to a wall by one end (so that end cannot go up or down but the stick can swing about that point). There is a mass of 0.5 kg at the other end and there is a support at the center of the stick, which itself has mass 0.12 kg. What is the force exerted on the stick by that support?

take 0,12*0,50*6,67*10^-11 =4,002*10^-12 / 1^2 =4,002*10^-12[/quot]
Now this really loses me! I have no idea where that "6,667" came from, not to mention the "10-11"! And why are you multiplying them all together? It would help to show some of your reasoning and not just arithmetic.

Calculate the "torque" about the pinned end of the stick. The mass 0.5 kg has weight 0.5g N (so force is downward) and, since it is 1 m from the pinned end, exerts a torque or 0.5g N-m, clockwise, around the pinned end. Let F be the force exerted by the support. That force is exerted upward and is 0.5 m from the pinned end and so exerts a 0.5F N-m torque, counter-clockwise. We can also, presuming the meter stick is uniform, treat the mass of the stick as if it were concentrated at the center- there is a torque of (0.5)(0.12g)= 0.06g, clockwise. The pinned end, since it is 0 m from itself, contributes no torque. Since the stick does not move, the total torque around any point, and, in particular, around the pinned end must be 0: the counter-clockwise and clockwise torques must be the same. That is
0.5F= 0.5g+ 0.06g= 0.56g. Now solve for F. The answer is NOT exactly 11 N but it is close.

Gahh

You know I was using the the the F=Gm1m2/r2 and G is Constant of Gravitation = 6,667*10^-11
Yeah now that I calulated it I also got 0,56 because i thought in another way... but how do I resolv F I'm like this :confused: :confused: :confused: it stands nothing in my book!

I added a pic to those who don't understand my english !

Thx

Attachments

• Pic.JPG
    Pic.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 324
Is this the way

The Force for the weight is 0,56nM and then the force must be utilised on the other side to so 0,56+0,56 * 9,82 =10,984=11nM

Yes, exactly.

(It would be more correct (in English, at least) to say the "torque" rather than the force, is 0,56 Nm- in any language you shouldn't use the word "force" with two different meanings. {But who am I to talk, we use "pounds" for both mass and force!})

The formula I gave you was 0,5F= 0,56g so that F= 0.56g/0,5= (0,56)(9,81)/0,5. That gives the same thing.

I hope you realize that you are NOT calculating F by (Gm1m2)/r2. You certainly don't need that for things happening on the surface of the earth!

Related to Solving the Weight of a Meterstaff with a Dynamometer

1. What is a meterstaff and why is it important to solve its weight?

A meterstaff is a long, thin rod used for measuring and marking distances. It is important to solve its weight in order to accurately use it for measuring purposes, as any discrepancy in its weight could affect the accuracy of the measurements.

2. What is a dynamometer and how does it help in solving the weight of a meterstaff?

A dynamometer is a device used for measuring force and weight. It can be used to determine the weight of an object by measuring the force it exerts on the device. In the case of a meterstaff, a dynamometer can be used to measure the force exerted by the staff and calculate its weight.

3. What is the process for solving the weight of a meterstaff with a dynamometer?

The process involves first calibrating the dynamometer to ensure accuracy, then attaching the meterstaff to the dynamometer and measuring the force it exerts. This force is then used in a simple mathematical equation to calculate the weight of the meterstaff.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the weight measurement?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the weight measurement, such as the condition and calibration of the dynamometer, the placement and stability of the meterstaff on the dynamometer, and any external forces or vibrations that may affect the measurement.

5. Can the same method be used to solve the weight of other objects?

Yes, the same method of using a dynamometer to measure force and calculating the weight can be applied to other objects as well. However, the accuracy may vary depending on the size, shape, and surface of the object being measured.