Solving the Two Capacitor Problem: Calculating Final Potential Difference

• Thread starter Vibhor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, when two capacitors ##C_1## and ##C_2## with initial potential difference ##V_i## are connected in series after being charged to opposite polarities, the final potential difference ##V_f## between them can be calculated using the equation ##V_f = \frac{C_1-C_2}{C_1+C_2}V_i##. This takes into account the charges on both capacitors and their capacitances.
Vibhor

Homework Statement

Two capacitors ##C_1## and ##C_2## (where ##C_1 > C_2##) are charged to the same initial potential difference ##V_i##, but with opposite polarity. The charged capacitors are removed from the battery, and their plates are connected as shown in Figure a. The switches ##S_1## and ##S_2## are then closed, as shown in Figure b. Find the final potential difference ##V_f## between a and b after the switches are closed

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let Vf be final potential difference.

## V_f = \frac{Q_{1f}}{C_1} = \frac{Q_{2f}}{C_2}##
## Q_1-Q_2 = Q_{1f}+Q_{2f}##
## Q_1-Q_2 = Q_{1f}+\frac{C_2}{C_1}Q_{1f}##
## C_1V_i-C_2V_i = \frac{C_1+C_2}{C_1}Q_{1f}##

## V_f = \frac{C_1-C_2}{C_1+C_2}V_i##

Is this correct ?

Attachments

• Cap.GIF
    Cap.GIF
    4.3 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
Vibhor said:
Let Vf be final potential difference.

## V_f = \frac{Q_{1f}}{C_1} = \frac{Q_{2f}}{C_2}##
## Q_1-Q_2 = Q_{1f}+Q_{2f}##
## Q_1-Q_2 = Q_{1f}+\frac{C_2}{C_1}Q_{1f}##
## C_1V_i-C_2V_i = \frac{C_1+C_2}{C_1}Q_{1f}##

## V_f = \frac{C_1-C_2}{C_1+C_2}V_i##

Is this correct ?

Yes.

ehild

Likes 1 person
Many thanks ehild :)

Related to Solving the Two Capacitor Problem: Calculating Final Potential Difference

What is the "Two Capacitor problem"?

The "Two Capacitor problem" is a common problem in the field of electrical engineering and physics. It involves two capacitors that are connected in parallel or in series, and the goal is to determine the equivalent capacitance of the circuit.

What are the key components of the "Two Capacitor problem"?

The key components of the "Two Capacitor problem" are the two capacitors, their capacitance values, and the connections between them. The problem may also involve a power source and other circuit elements.

What is the difference between capacitors connected in parallel and in series?

Capacitors connected in parallel have their positive terminals connected together and their negative terminals connected together. This results in an increased overall capacitance. On the other hand, capacitors connected in series have their positive terminal of one capacitor connected to the negative terminal of the other. This results in a decreased overall capacitance.

How do you calculate the equivalent capacitance of a circuit with two capacitors?

To calculate the equivalent capacitance of a circuit with two capacitors connected in parallel, you add the capacitance values of the two capacitors. To calculate the equivalent capacitance of a circuit with two capacitors connected in series, you use the formula 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2, where C1 and C2 are the capacitance values of the two capacitors.

What are some real-world applications of the "Two Capacitor problem"?

The "Two Capacitor problem" is relevant in many real-world applications, such as in electronic circuits, power supplies, and energy storage systems. It is also fundamental to understanding the behavior of capacitors in more complex circuits and systems.