Solving the Train Length Ratio Puzzle

In summary, the problem involves two trains, A and B, moving towards each other at a relative speed of 0.8c. The passing of the two trains takes 20% longer as observed from train A compared to train B. To solve this problem, we can use the equations T'=Tsqrt(1-(v/c)^2) and L'=Lsqrt(1-(v/c)^2) and consider the time intervals and lengths of the trains as observed from both train A and train B. By relating these equations and considering the rest length of each train, we can determine the ratio of the length of train A to the length of train B.
renegade05

Homework Statement

Two trains, A and B, are moving towards each other with relative speed 0.8c. The
passing of the two trains (from when their fronts align to when their backs align) takes 20%
longer as observed from train A as is does as observed from train B. What is the ratio of the
length of A to the length of B?

Homework Equations

I am guessing:
T'=Tsqrt(1-(v/c)^2)
L'=Lsqrt(1-(v/c)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused, I feel like there is missing information?

I am trying to relate these two equations! but I am really not sure how to go about solving this one! please help. just so i know where to start...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let LA represent the length of train A in its own rest frame, and let LB represent the length of train B in its own rest frame. Let v be the relative velocity.

The observers on train A focus on 3 sequential events:
1. The front of train B aligns with the front of train A.
2. The front of train B aligns with the rear of train A.
3. The rear of train B aligns with the rear of train A.

Draw diagrams of these three events.

Knowing the rest length of train A and the relative velocity of the trains, what is the time interval between events 1 and 2 (as reckoned by the observers on train A)?
What is the length of train B as reckoned by the observers on train A, knowing the rest length of train B and the relative velocity of the trains?
Knowing the length of train B as reckoned by the observers on train A and the relative velocity of the trains, what is the time interval between events 2 and 3 (as reckoned by the observers on train A)?
As reckoned by the observers on train A, what is the time interval between events 1 and 3?
Now, do the same analysis for the observers on train B. As reckoned by the observers on train B, what is the time interval between events 1 and 3?

Related to Solving the Train Length Ratio Puzzle

1. What is the Train Length Ratio Puzzle?

The Train Length Ratio Puzzle is a mathematical problem that involves determining the length of two trains based on the time they take to pass each other on parallel tracks.

2. How do you solve the Train Length Ratio Puzzle?

To solve the Train Length Ratio Puzzle, you need to use the formula: Train A's length = (Speed of Train A / Speed of Train B) x (Distance between the two trains).

3. What information do you need to know to solve the Train Length Ratio Puzzle?

To solve the Train Length Ratio Puzzle, you need to know the speeds of both trains and the distance between them.

4. Are there any tricks or shortcuts to solving the Train Length Ratio Puzzle?

Yes, there are some tricks that can help you solve the Train Length Ratio Puzzle more efficiently. One trick is to convert the speeds of the trains into the same unit of measurement before plugging them into the formula.

5. How can solving the Train Length Ratio Puzzle be useful?

Solving the Train Length Ratio Puzzle can be useful in real-life situations, such as determining the length of two trains passing each other on a railroad track. It can also be a fun and challenging brain exercise for developing problem-solving skills.