Solving the time dependant schrodinger eqn in dirac (bra ket) notation

In summary: The lecturer has not shown us how to solve the time dependant schrodinger equation in dirac notation.
rwooduk
given:

at t=0 |PSI(0)> = 1/2 |PSI1> + (SQRT3)/2 |PSI2>

---------------------------------------------------------------------

my attempt so far:

we can write

|PSI1> = 1/2 |UP> + 1/2 |DOWN>

|PSI2> = (SQRT3)/2 |UP> + (SQRT3)/2 |DOWN>

therefore

|PSI(0)> = 1/2 |UP> + 1/2 |DOWN> + (SQRT3)/2 |UP> + (SQRT3)/2 |DOWN>

but then what do i do? the lecturer hasnt shown us how to solve the time DEPENDENT schrodinger eqn in ket notation, infact i don't recall her showing us how to solve the time independant eqn either, only something like this:

|PSI(x)> = I(x)|PSI> = INTEGRAL BETWEEN -INF AND +INF of dx|x><x|PSI>

so do i use the Identity to give some sort of integral for |PSI(O)>??

I'm at a total loss and spent another 2+ hours going around in circles.

If someone could point me in the right direction, or even suggest a web page that details how to solve the time dependant schrodinger eqn in dirac notation, it would REALLY be appreciated.

edit

I found the solution on the web, well kind of, my question needs in terms of base vectors, but;

at t=o |PSI> = SUM Cn|PSIn>

at t>0 |PSI> = SUM Cn|PSIn> EXP (-iEt)/h-bar

where does the EXP term come from?? I know where it comes from in normal notation but how to get an exp term from |UP>'s and |DOWN>'s ?? and they are only vectors anyway, how can an EXP term be directional?? totally confused.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
it's ok found something in the book

t=0 |PSI(0)> = SUM αi|PSIi>

t>0 |PSI(t)> = SUM αi EXP (-iEit/h-bar) |PSIi>

from

ih-bar d/dt |PSI> = H |PSI>therefore my answer (i think) will simply be

|PSI(t)> = (1/2 |PSI1> + (SQRT3)/2 |PSI2>)EXP (-iEit/h-bar)

= (1/2 (|UP> + |DOWN>) + (SQRT3)/2 (|UP> + |DOWN>) ) EXP (-iEit/h-bar)or maybe I am way off? will update when the answers come into help others

Last edited:
The homework template is there for a reason. Could you please provide the complete problem statement?

Related to Solving the time dependant schrodinger eqn in dirac (bra ket) notation

1. What is the Schrodinger equation in Dirac notation?

The Schrodinger equation in Dirac notation is a mathematical formula that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It is written in terms of bra-ket notation, which uses the symbols and to represent the "bra" and "ket" vectors, respectively.

2. What is the significance of using Dirac notation in solving the Schrodinger equation?

Dirac notation is a powerful tool for solving the Schrodinger equation because it simplifies the mathematical calculations and allows for a more intuitive understanding of the quantum system. It also allows for the use of linear algebra techniques, making it easier to manipulate and solve the equation.

3. How is time dependence incorporated into the Schrodinger equation in Dirac notation?

The time dependence in the Schrodinger equation is represented by the time-dependent Hamiltonian operator, which is denoted by the symbol H(t). This operator acts on the state vector 〉ᵥᵢ> to give the time derivative of the state vector, ᵥᵢ>′.

4. What is the difference between the Schrodinger equation in Dirac notation and the standard Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation in Dirac notation is equivalent to the standard Schrodinger equation, but it is written in a more compact and abstract form. The bra-ket notation allows for the use of linear algebra techniques, while the standard equation is written in terms of differential equations.

5. How is the Schrodinger equation in Dirac notation used in practical applications?

The Schrodinger equation in Dirac notation is used in a wide range of practical applications, such as calculating the energy levels of atoms and molecules, predicting the behavior of quantum systems, and understanding the properties of materials at the atomic level. It is also used in quantum mechanics simulations and in the development of quantum computing algorithms.