Solving the Schrodinger Equation Using Substitution Method: Tips and Tricks

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the second derivative of a function by using the chain rule and converting derivatives with respect to one variable to another. The conversation also mentions using implicit differentiation and the chain rule to find the second derivative. Ultimately, the conversation suggests using the chain rule to find the second derivative by finding a calculus rule that relates the two derivatives.
v_pino

I tried simply substituting z and epsilon into the original equation. I managed to get the second term of the left hand side correct but not the first term as I don't know how to turn z into d^2/dz^2. Can you please give me suggestions as to how I can approach this question.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Didn't manage to upload the file in the last post - hope it works now as attached here.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 441
You have a d/dz that you've ultimately got to express in terms of d/dx, right? Try thinking back on your elementary calculus formulas, and see if you can find one that allows you to convert a derivative with respect to one variable into a derivative with respect to a different one.

The only thing that I can think of is implicit differentiation. But trying that doesn't seem to work. Am I on the right track?

Having the [tex]\frac{d}{dz}[/tex] out by itself can sometimes make things confusing. Try expanding out the parentheses so the [tex]\psi[/tex] can stick onto the derivative. Also, for a moment, let's ignore the fact that it's a second derivative, and pretend it's only a first derivative. So we now have

[tex]\frac{d\psi}{dz}[/tex]

We're assuming this matches up to the original problem, so this term must turn into some kind of d/dx. That term just has constants on it, so the translation between one and the other must just be a simple coefficient. So if we call that A, then we have

[tex]\frac{d\psi}{dz}=A\frac{d\psi}{dx}[/tex]

You should now be able to find a calculus rule that tells you how to calculate A.

I used the chain rule to get dS/dz = dS/dx * (h/mw)^0.5 . Can I simply square this to get the second derivative?

S = wavefunction

Thanks for the help!

Yup. Now that you know the trick, you can back up and do it with the operators, which will make it a little clearer what's going on:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} = \frac{d}{dz}\frac{dz}{dx}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dz} = \frac{1}{\frac{dz}{dx}}\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d^2}{dz^2} = \frac{d}{dz}\frac{d}{dz}[/tex]
[tex] = \left(\frac{1}{\frac{dz}{dx}}\frac{d}{dx}\right)\left(\frac{1}{\frac{dz}{dx}}\frac{d}{dx}\right)[/tex]
[tex] = \left(\frac{1}{\frac{dz}{dx}}\right)^2\frac{d}{dx}\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]
[tex] = \left(\frac{1}{\frac{dz}{dx}}\right)^2\frac{d^2}{dx^2}[/tex]

Related to Solving the Schrodinger Equation Using Substitution Method: Tips and Tricks

1. What is the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger Equation is a mathematical equation that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes with time. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific position at a specific time.

2. What is the Substitution Method?

The Substitution Method is a technique used to solve the Schrodinger Equation by substituting a trial solution into the equation and then adjusting the parameters until the solution matches the equation.

3. What are some tips for solving the Schrodinger Equation using the Substitution Method?

Some tips for solving the Schrodinger Equation using the Substitution Method include choosing a trial solution that satisfies the boundary conditions, using symmetry to reduce the number of variables, and making use of simplification techniques such as integration by parts.

4. Are there any tricks for solving the Schrodinger Equation using the Substitution Method?

One trick for solving the Schrodinger Equation using the Substitution Method is to choose a trial solution that is a linear combination of simpler functions. This can make the substitution process easier and lead to a simpler solution.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the Substitution Method to solve the Schrodinger Equation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using the Substitution Method to solve the Schrodinger Equation include not fully understanding the boundary conditions, making incorrect assumptions about the trial solution, and not properly simplifying the equation before substitution.