Solving the Quantum State Problem: Expressing Psi with Orthogonal States

In summary, the problem is that you need to find the coefficients c_{3}, c_{4}, and a_1 in terms of c_{1}, c_{2}, and a_3.
Lindsayyyy
Hi everyone

Homework Statement

I have a quantum state

[tex] \mid \Psi \rangle= a_1 \mid \Psi_1 \rangle + a_2 \mid \Psi_2 \rangle[/tex]

wheres as psi1 and psi are normalized orthognal states.

Not I want to express the psi with the following two states

[tex] \mid \Psi_3 \rangle = \frac {1}{\sqrt{2}} ( \mid \Psi_1 \rangle +\mid \Psi_2 \rangle)[/tex]

and

[tex] \mid \Psi_3 \rangle = \frac {1}{\sqrt{2}} ( \mid \Psi_1 \rangle -\mid \Psi_2 \rangle)[/tex]

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I don't have much of an idea actually. I know how to calculate coefficients if I have different basis vectors, but that doesn't seem to help here. Can anyone give me a little hint on how to approach this?

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is essentially this:

You want to express [itex]\mid \Psi \rangle[/itex] in terms of the two orthogonal basis vectors [itex]\mid \Psi_{3} \rangle[/itex] and [itex]\mid \Psi_{4} \rangle[/itex].

This means that
[itex]\mid \Psi \rangle = c_{3}\mid \Psi_{3} \rangle + c_{4}\mid \Psi_{4} \rangle[/itex]

and your goal is to determine these two coefficients.

I'm not sure why your usual methods don't work here; they should: Clearly,
[itex]\langle \Psi_{3}\mid \Psi \rangle = c_{3}[/itex]
and so on in the usual fashion. Give it another shot.

If I do this I get to the following expression

[tex] \langle \Psi_3 \mid \Psi \rangle = \langle \frac {1}{\sqrt 2} (\langle \Psi_1 \mid + \langle \Psi_2 \mid) \mid(a_1 \mid \Psi_1 \rangle +a_2 \mid \Psi_2 \rangle) \rangle [/tex]

But I don't know how to ease this expression up a bit.

hey,don't you think you should just solve it like an algebraic eqn.and get psi1 and psi2 in terms of psi3 and psi4(there is an error with third eqn) and just substitute back.

I think I should do it the way Fightfish told me to. I tried it also your way before that was my idea aswell, but that didn't work out for me.

they are rather same.

Lindsayyyy said:
If I do this I get to the following expression

[tex] \langle \Psi_3 \mid \Psi \rangle = \langle \frac {1}{\sqrt 2} (\langle \Psi_1 \mid + \langle \Psi_2 \mid) \mid(a_1 \mid \Psi_1 \rangle +a_2 \mid \Psi_2 \rangle) \rangle [/tex]

But I don't know how to ease this expression up a bit.

The inner product is associative. So,
[tex](\langle \Psi_1 \mid + \langle \Psi_2 \mid) (a_1 \mid \Psi_1 \rangle +a_2 \mid \Psi_2 \rangle) = a_1 \langle \Psi_1\mid \Psi_1\rangle + a_2\langle \Psi_1 \mid \Psi_2 \rangle + a_1\langle \Psi_2\mid\Psi_1\rangle + a_2 \langle \Psi_2\mid\Psi_2\rangle[/tex]

You could do it Andrien's way as well, but the method above is a general one that is easily applicable to most cases, especially when working with an infinite Hilbert space.

Alright. Thank you very much. I understood it now. I was actually confused that the bra and kets are sums. I know how to deal with it when I have an operator as a sum but that was new to me.

Related to Solving the Quantum State Problem: Expressing Psi with Orthogonal States

1. What is the quantum state problem?

The quantum state problem refers to the challenge of accurately describing and understanding the state of a quantum system. In quantum mechanics, the state of a system is represented by a wave function, often denoted as Ψ (psi). However, this wave function is often complex and difficult to work with, making it a major challenge for scientists to solve.

2. What are orthogonal states?

Orthogonal states are quantum states that are perpendicular to each other. This means that their wave functions do not overlap and are completely independent of each other. In other words, if two states are orthogonal, measuring one state will not affect the outcome of measuring the other state.

3. How can the quantum state problem be solved?

One approach to solving the quantum state problem is by expressing the complex wave function Ψ in terms of orthogonal states. This allows for easier manipulation and calculation of the state of a quantum system. This technique is known as the quantum state problem: expressing Ψ with orthogonal states.

4. What are the benefits of expressing Ψ with orthogonal states?

By expressing the wave function Ψ with orthogonal states, scientists can simplify the mathematical calculations involved in solving the quantum state problem. This can lead to a better understanding of the state of a quantum system and help in predicting its behavior and properties.

5. Are there any limitations to solving the quantum state problem?

While expressing the wave function Ψ with orthogonal states can make it easier to solve the quantum state problem, it does not provide a complete solution. There are still many complex quantum systems that cannot be fully described and understood using this approach, making the quantum state problem an ongoing challenge for scientists.