Solving the Problem of a Block Sliding Up an Inclined Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block sliding up a frictionless incline. The question is why the force of gravity in the x direction is negative. The answer is because gravity slows the block down as it slides up the incline. The person asking the question is taking Engineering Physics I and is a computer science major. It is also noted that there is another person in the conversation who attends the same school.
webren
I have a question about this problem:

"A block is given an initial velocity of 5.00 m/s up a frictionless 20.0(degrees) incline. How far up the incline does the block slide before coming to a rest?"

The book gives a clue stating that mgx = -mgsin20.0 and mgy=-mgcos20.

My question is why is mgx negative mgsin20?

When I work it out:

Sum of x force = mgsin20 = ma,
therefore: a = gsin20

Do they make it negative because the force of gravity in the x direction is going in a negative direction while the velocity is going in a positive direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's negative becouse they defined the the direction of the initial velocity as positive, and so becous it's slowing down (along both the x and the y axis) the accelaration and force have to be negative.

What course are you taking? I'll be in the Clark building tomorrow. Taking my final exam

:smile: Whats your major?

Ans. Because gravity slows the block down as it slides up the incline.

The correct spelling is "because" lenin. Nice name BTW, clever.

Thank you.

:smile: I just noticed your red text, how appropriate,...commie.

Ah, both of your answers make sense. Thank you.

The class I am taking is Engineering Physics I.
I am a computer science major.

Looks like cyrusabdollahi and I go to the same school. Nifty.

Related to Solving the Problem of a Block Sliding Up an Inclined Plane

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of a block sliding up an inclined plane?

The acceleration of a block sliding up an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where g is the gravitational acceleration (9.8 m/s²) and θ is the angle of the incline.

2. What factors affect the motion of a block sliding up an inclined plane?

The motion of a block sliding up an inclined plane can be affected by a variety of factors, including the mass of the block, the angle of the incline, the coefficient of friction between the block and the plane, and any external forces acting on the block.

3. How does the angle of the incline affect the motion of a block sliding up an inclined plane?

The angle of the incline has a direct impact on the acceleration of the block. As the angle increases, the acceleration decreases, and the block will move slower up the incline. At a certain angle (equal to the angle of repose), the block will reach a maximum height and stop moving.

4. What is the coefficient of friction and how does it influence the motion of a block sliding up an inclined plane?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces when one is sliding or attempting to slide over the other. It depends on the materials of the surfaces and can range from 0 (no friction) to 1 (maximum friction). A higher coefficient of friction will slow down the motion of a block sliding up an inclined plane, while a lower coefficient will allow the block to move faster.

5. What is the role of external forces in the motion of a block sliding up an inclined plane?

External forces, such as pushing or pulling the block, can influence its motion on an inclined plane. If the external force is greater than the force of friction, the block will accelerate up the incline. On the other hand, if the external force is less than the force of friction, the block will move slower or even come to a stop.