Solving the Physics Problem: Modeling a Spinning Ball Dropped on Floor

In summary, The conversation is about modeling a spinning ball with mass that is dropped on the floor with a coefficient of friction and finding its final angular velocity. The person discussing the problem tried solving it using the work from friction and reworking the solution, but got a singularity. They mention different factors to consider, such as the type of ball and how much it deforms on impact. They also mention three ways to solve the problem: applying Newton's laws, conservation of energy, and conservation of momentum, with the latter being the easiest. They provide a general solution for a spinning hoop as an example.
NotMrX
Hello

Does anyone know how to model a ball (sphere) with mass spinning with an initial angular velocity that gets dropped on the floor with a coefficient of friction? And find the final angular velocity?

I tried solving the problem but somehow I got a singularity.

The idea I used was the work from friction equals the change in the kinetic energy (rotational and translational) but even after I reworked I got a singularity so i must be doing something wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean like a spinning billiard ball or a spinning rubber ball? How much does the ball deform on impact? It seems that for a rubber ball, some energy will get converted to head from the deformation and rebound. Even the billiard ball example will deform slightly during the bounce.

There 3 ways to solve problem: straightforward application of Newton's laws, conservation of energy, and conservation of momentum. Conservation of momentum is by far the easiest. The angular momentum of the ball when it is released equals the angular momentum when the ball starts to roll (linear momentum + rotational momentum). You can check your result using the general solution:

Omega final = Omega initial / (I + mr^2 / I)

Example: Spinning hoop - Omega final = Omega initial / 2

Related to Solving the Physics Problem: Modeling a Spinning Ball Dropped on Floor

1. How do you model the motion of a spinning ball dropped on the floor?

To model the motion of a spinning ball dropped on the floor, we use the principles of physics and mathematical equations. This includes the conservation of energy, angular momentum, and the laws of motion. We also take into account factors such as air resistance and the surface of the floor.

2. What are the initial conditions required for the model?

The initial conditions required for the model include the initial position, velocity, and angular velocity of the ball. Additionally, we need to know the mass and dimensions of the ball, as well as the properties of the floor it is dropped on, such as its friction coefficient.

3. How does the spin of the ball affect its motion?

The spin of the ball affects its motion in several ways. Firstly, it creates a torque that causes the ball to rotate as it falls. The spin also affects the air resistance, as a spinning ball experiences a different drag force than a non-spinning ball. This can lead to variations in the ball's trajectory and landing point.

4. Can this model be used for any type of spinning ball?

Yes, this model can be used for any type of spinning ball, as long as the initial conditions are known. It can be applied to objects such as soccer balls, tennis balls, and even planets.

5. How accurate is this model compared to real-world observations?

The accuracy of this model depends on various factors, such as the accuracy of the initial conditions and the assumptions made in the calculations. In ideal conditions, the model can closely match real-world observations. However, in more complex scenarios, there may be some discrepancies between the model and actual observations.