Solving the Net Force on a Wooden Box

In summary, a 250 N force is applied at an angle of 32° above the horizontal to a 96 kg wooden box on a floor with a coefficient of friction of 0.18. To calculate the net force on the box, the normal force must be found by taking into account the y component of the applied force. The friction force can then be calculated by multiplying the normal force by the coefficient of friction. In this case, the net force on the box is 67N.
brentwoodbc

Homework Statement

A 250 N force is applied at an angle of 32° above the horizontal to a 96 kg wooden box causing
it to slide along a floor as shown.

The coefficient of friction between the floor and the box is 0.18. What is the magnitude of the net
force on the wooden box?

The Attempt at a Solution

ff=mu times N
ff =0.18 times 9.8 times 96
For normal force would you find the y component ie. 9.8 times 96 times sin32 or do you just do N=W?
ff=170N

fapp=250cos32
fapp=212

Fnet=fapp-ff
fnet=212-170=43N?
and if I do N as the y component "because some of the mass is being lifted" I get the wrong answer too. 122N
it is supposed to be 67N?

Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate the normal force, you need to consider the y component of the applied force too.

dx said:
To calculate the normal force, you need to consider the y component of the applied force too.

I know, I just can't remember if for ff you multiply N times sin 32, I don't remember doing that. so the y component of the applied force is subtracted from the normal force?

It is subtracted from the weight. N = W - F sin(32°). Tell me if you don't see why.After you get the normal force, the friction force is just f = µN.

dx said:
It is subtracted from the weight. N = W - F sin(32°). Tell me if you don't see why.

After you get the normal force, the friction force is just f = µN.

Alright I got it, Its been a while and I am just doing some review. "also I was using an online calculator that was giving me some odd answers."
Thank you alot.

No problem.

Related to Solving the Net Force on a Wooden Box

1. What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all of the individual forces acting on it.

2. How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you need to add together all of the individual forces acting on an object, taking into account their direction and magnitude.

3. Why is it important to solve for net force on a wooden box?

Solving for net force on a wooden box is important because it allows us to understand how the forces acting on the box will affect its motion and stability.

4. What factors can affect the net force on a wooden box?

The net force on a wooden box can be affected by the individual forces acting on it, such as gravity, friction, and applied forces. The mass and acceleration of the box can also impact the net force.

5. How can solving for net force on a wooden box be useful in real-world applications?

Solving for net force on a wooden box can be useful in understanding the forces at play in various situations, such as pushing a box up a ramp or pulling a box with a rope. This knowledge can help us make informed decisions and improve the efficiency and safety of these tasks.