Solving the "n" Challenge - Find the Smallest Integer

In summary, the conversation involves finding the smallest integer n for which n! > 10n. The attempt at a solution includes using the trial method and finding the derivative of the equations. A simpler approach is suggested using induction and Stirling's approximation. However, it is stated that beyond the approximation, more advanced functions are needed and it may be easier to use the trial method.
The legend

Homework Statement

This is just a problem i came up with while doing in equations, and recently saw in a book too.

Find the smallest integer n, for which

n! > 10n

The Attempt at a Solution

The trial method (with help from the computer) yields 25 to be the answer.

After a bit more of discussion, it did strike that 'n' lies between 20 and 30. (not very helpful :-p)

But i believe there should be a definite way to solve this...

Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The legend said:

Homework Statement

This is just a problem i came up with while doing in equations, and recently saw in a book too.

Find the smallest integer n, for which

n! > 10n

The Attempt at a Solution

The trial method (with help from the computer) yields 25 to be the answer.

After a bit more of discussion, it did strike that 'n' lies between 20 and 30. (not very helpful :-p)

But i believe there should be a definite way to solve this...

Any help appreciated.

I guess one way that you can approach this is to find the derivative of the two functions in question. You can use the definition of the gamma function to find the derivative of your factorial, and the other functions derivative can be found by using a (e^(ln 10))^n transformation and then using simple derivative rules for exponential.

Another thing besides the derivative is to find when the two are equal and most likely the n will be some real number and not an integer or a rational number.

By using the derivative and the number in which the two are equal, you should be able to show with these what the rate of change is after the two are equal and from that show that based on the derivative it will always remain an inequality for a specific domain.

Thanks for the reply, chiro.

I found the derivative for 10^n, but for the n! i used wolfram alpha and got this.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=derivative+n!

There is a digamma function involved, but i don't know much of it, and couldn't carry on with the further steps you've hinted.

I am trying to learn more about that function and some others involved (i'm more of a self learner on the internet)...but if you have a simpler way, please share.

The legend said:
Thanks for the reply, chiro.

I found the derivative for 10^n, but for the n! i used wolfram alpha and got this.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=derivative+n!

There is a digamma function involved, but i don't know much of it, and couldn't carry on with the further steps you've hinted.

I am trying to learn more about that function and some others involved (i'm more of a self learner on the internet)...but if you have a simpler way, please share.

I guess another simpler way is once you find where the two equations are equal, you can use a simple induction argument to assume true for all k > a (a is the lowest integer that inequality is valid) and then show that it is true for k + 1.

So let's say its true for n = a.

Its easy to see that 10^(n+1) = 10 * 10^n and (n+1) * n! is going to be greater in the (n+1)'th term for the factorial since (n+1) > 10 and since all values after some value are true, then this property will guarantee that the inequality holds.

chiro said:
I guess another simpler way is once you find where the two equations are equal, you can use a simple induction argument to assume true for all k > a (a is the lowest integer that inequality is valid) and then show that it is true for k + 1.

So let's say its true for n = a.

Its easy to see that 10^(n+1) = 10 * 10^n and (n+1) * n! is going to be greater in the (n+1)'th term for the factorial since (n+1) > 10 and since all values after some value are true, then this property will guarantee that the inequality holds.

But this proof just guarantees the holding of the inequality after n>a.

What the question asks is to find 'a'.

You can get a pretty good approximation to the answer by using Stirling's approximation which tells you ln(n!)~n*ln(n)-n and setting it equal to ln(10^n)=n*ln(10). Beyond that approximation I think you need to use fancy functions. It's probably easier to just use your trial method.

Dick said:
You can get a pretty good approximation to the answer by using Stirling's approximation which tells you ln(n!)~n*ln(n)-n and setting it equal to ln(10^n)=n*ln(10). Beyond that approximation I think you need to use fancy functions. It's probably easier to just use your trial method.

okay.

thanks a lot for the reply. :smile:

Related to Solving the "n" Challenge - Find the Smallest Integer

1. What is the "n" Challenge?

The "n" Challenge is a problem-solving exercise that involves finding the smallest integer in a given set of numbers.

2. Why is finding the smallest integer important?

Finding the smallest integer can be useful in various scenarios, such as data analysis, sorting algorithms, and optimization problems.

3. What is the approach for solving the "n" Challenge?

The most common approach for solving the "n" Challenge is to iterate through the given set of numbers and compare each number to the current smallest integer. If a smaller integer is found, it becomes the new smallest integer. This process continues until all numbers have been checked, and the smallest integer is identified.

4. Can the "n" Challenge be solved using any programming language?

Yes, the "n" Challenge can be solved using any programming language as long as it supports basic mathematical operations and looping structures.

5. Are there any specific tips for solving the "n" Challenge?

Some tips for solving the "n" Challenge include breaking down the problem into smaller steps, using efficient data structures, and considering edge cases such as empty sets or duplicate numbers in the given set.