Solving the Mystery of Spontaneous Emission

In summary, spontaneous emission is the thermodynamically irreversible transition of an electron from a higher energy state to a lower energy state due to the larger number of degrees of freedom carried by the photon. The transition rate is determined by Fermi's Golden Rule and is caused by random fluctuations of virtual particles in the vacuum, as explained by Quantum Field Theory.
Goodver
By Spontaneous emission it is said that the electron jumps to the higher energy state and then after some time "spontaneously" falls to the lower state.

It is still not clear to me, what makes the electron to "fall" back to the lower state, if higher state is also allowed state and excitation does not violate transition rules, therefore "spontaneously" falling contradicts 1 Newton's law, or it is due to the acting Columb's forces and interactions between electrons in the atom? And what determines time at which electron stays at excited state, I assume it is somehow Fermi statistics?

I am in a master level.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Goodver said:
By Spontaneous emission it is said that the electron jumps to the higher energy state and then after some time "spontaneously" falls to the lower state.

It is still not clear to me, what makes the electron to "fall" back to the lower state, if higher state is also allowed state and excitation does not violate transition rules, therefore "spontaneously" falling contradicts 1 Newton's law, or it is due to the acting Columb's forces and interactions between electrons in the atom? And what determines time at which electron stays at excited state, I assume it is somehow Fermi statistics?

I am in a master level.

Thank you.

The thermodynamically irreverisble transition to the lower energy state is due to the much larger number of large degrees of freedom carried by the photon than the excited molecule.

Fermi's Golden Rule determines the transition rate.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi's_golden_rule

Goodver said:

It really requires Quantum Field Theory to explain. Basically its not in an eigenstate when the electron and its coupling to the quantised EM field is considered. The usual hand-wavey explanation is its caused by random fluctuations of virtual particles in the vacuum. Its a bit hand-wavey because virtual particles don't really exist - but that is by the by - there is a long thread discussing that at the moment if you want to delve into it.

If you do an internet search there are some papers that go into the detail eg:
http://www.famaf.unc.edu.ar/~vmarconi/moderna1/emision_estimulada_AJP.pdf

I am pretty sure Craigi got what he said from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_emission

I don't think the large degrees of freedom per-se is the reason.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes Goodver
Thank you very much!

Related to Solving the Mystery of Spontaneous Emission

1. What is spontaneous emission?

Spontaneous emission is the process by which an atom or molecule releases energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation without any external stimulation.

2. How does spontaneous emission occur?

Spontaneous emission occurs when an excited atom or molecule in an unstable state spontaneously decays to a lower energy state, releasing energy in the form of photons.

3. What factors influence the rate of spontaneous emission?

The rate of spontaneous emission is influenced by factors such as the energy difference between the initial and final states, the presence of nearby atoms or molecules, and the temperature of the environment.

4. What is the significance of spontaneous emission in quantum mechanics?

Spontaneous emission is a fundamental process in quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems. It is also essential in understanding phenomena such as fluorescence and the operation of lasers.

5. How is spontaneous emission related to the concept of quantum superposition?

Quantum superposition is the principle that states that a quantum system can exist in multiple states simultaneously. Spontaneous emission is an example of a quantum system collapsing from a superposition of states to a single state, releasing energy in the process.