Solving the Mystery of \ln{v_{i}} in an Expression

This represents the log-likelihood function for the GARCH model. In summary, the author discusses the use of Maximum Likelihood Estimation to estimate parameters for a GARCH(1,1) model. The first part involves estimating the variance v of a random variable X from m observations with a normal distribution. The author then replaces v with v_{i} to estimate the parameters of the GARCH model, resulting in a log-likelihood function of \sum_{i=1}^m (-\ln{v_{i}}-\frac{u_{i}^2}{v_{i}}).
Polymath89
I have a problem taking the log of this expression [tex]\prod_{i=1}^m[\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi v}}\exp{(\frac{-u_{i}^2}{2v_{i}})}][/tex]

Now I would get [tex]\ln({\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi v}}})(\sum_{i=1}^m{\frac{-u_{i}^2}{v_{i}}})[/tex]

The author gets, by ignoring the constant multiplicative factors, [tex]\sum_{i=1}^m (-\ln{v_{i}}-\frac{u_{i}^2}{v_{i}})[/tex]

Can anybody tell me where the [itex]\ln{v_{i}}[/itex] comes from and what I have done wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Polymath89 said:
I would get [tex]\ln({\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi v}}})(\sum_{i=1}^m{\frac{-u_{i}^2}{v_{i}}})[/tex]

You are missing m (not that it answers your question).

Do you mean

[tex]\prod_{i=1}^m[\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi v}}\exp{(\frac{-u_{i}^2}{2v_{i}})}][/tex]

or

[tex]\prod_{i=1}^m[\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi v_i}}\exp{(\frac{-u_{i}^2}{2v_{i}})}][/tex]

I'm sorry, I just noticed the difference in the terms, first the author uses v as a constant, so he starts with this term:

[tex]\prod_{i=1}^m[\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi v}}\exp{(\frac{-u_{i}^2}{2v})}][/tex]

and then he gets, by ignoring the constant multiplicative factors:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^m (-\ln{v}-\frac{u_{i}^2}{v})[/tex]

Then he replaces v with [itex]v_{i}[/itex], so [tex]\prod_{i=1}^m[\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi v_i}}\exp{(\frac{-u_{i}^2}{2v_{i}})}][/tex]

and gets [tex]\sum_{i=1}^m (-\ln{v_{i}}-\frac{u_{i}^2}{v_{i}})[/tex]

To put all of this in perspective, the author tries to estimate parameters of a GARCH(1,1) model and the first part(with v as a constant) is supposed to be an example of a Maximum Likelihood Estimation, where he estimates the variance v of a random variable X from m observations on X when the underlying distribution is normal with zero mean. Then the first term is just the likelihood of the m observations occurring in that order.
For the second part with [itex]v_{i}[/itex], he uses MLE to estimate the parameters of the GARCH model. [itex]v_{i}[/itex] is the variance for day i and he assumes that the probability distribution of [itex]u_{i}[/itex] conditional on the variance is normal. Then he gets [tex]\prod_{i=1}^m[\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi v_i}}\exp{(\frac{-u_{i}^2}{2v_{i}})}][/tex]

and [tex]\sum_{i=1}^m (-\ln{v_{i}}-\frac{u_{i}^2}{v_{i}})[/tex]

The \ln{v_{i}} term comes from the natural logarithm of the original expression. When taking the logarithm of a product, it can be rewritten as the sum of the logarithms of each term. In this case, the logarithm of the product \prod_{i=1}^m[\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi v}}\exp{(\frac{-u_{i}^2}{2v_{i}})}] can be written as \ln{\prod_{i=1}^m[\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi v}}\exp{(\frac{-u_{i}^2}{2v_{i}})}]}, which can then be expanded as \sum_{i=1}^m \ln{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi v}}\exp{(\frac{-u_{i}^2}{2v_{i}})}}. The \ln{v_{i}} term comes from the logarithm of the term \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi v}} in the product.

It seems that in your calculation, you have missed the logarithm of this term and have only included the logarithm of the exponential term, resulting in a different expression. Make sure to include all terms when taking the logarithm of a product.

Related to Solving the Mystery of \ln{v_{i}} in an Expression

1. What is "ln" and why is it used in expressions?

"ln" stands for natural logarithm and is a mathematical function used to calculate the logarithm of a number to the base of e (approximately 2.718). It is commonly used in scientific and mathematical equations to simplify calculations and solve complex problems.

2. How do you solve for "ln(v_i)" in an expression?

To solve for "ln(v_i)" in an expression, you can use the inverse of the natural logarithm function, which is the exponential function. This means taking e to the power of both sides of the equation, cancelling out the ln and leaving you with just v_i on one side. For example, if you have the expression ln(v_i) = 5, you can solve for v_i by raising e to the power of both sides, resulting in v_i = e^5.

3. Can "ln(v_i)" be negative in an expression?

Yes, "ln(v_i)" can be negative in an expression. This can happen when the value of v_i is between 0 and 1, as the natural logarithm of a number between 0 and 1 is negative. However, in most mathematical and scientific contexts, the value of v_i is typically positive, resulting in a positive ln(v_i) value.

4. Why is "ln(v_i)" important in solving for unknown variables in equations?

"ln(v_i)" is important in solving for unknown variables in equations because it allows us to simplify complex expressions and make them easier to solve. By taking the logarithm of both sides of an equation, we can isolate the unknown variable and solve for it using basic algebraic operations.

5. Are there any limitations to using "ln(v_i)" in equations?

One limitation of using "ln(v_i)" in equations is that it is not defined for negative values of v_i. This means that the variable v_i must be positive for the natural logarithm function to be valid. Additionally, when using ln(v_i) in equations, it is important to consider the domain and range of the function to ensure accurate solutions.