Solving the Mystery of Energy Transfer in Helium Atoms

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the Auger Effect, where an electron can gain energy through the jumping down of another electron in a helium atom. This is in contrast to the classical understanding of energy transfer through the emission of a photon. The solution to the problem is attached, but there is confusion about the transfer of energy and why the emission of a photon is not considered in this scenario.
aaaa202
I have an exercise with the following text:

Suppose you put both electrons in a helium atom into the n=2 state. What would the energy of the emitted electron be?

I have attached the solution to the problem, but I am not sure I understand it. I understand the first part about the total initial energy. But I don't understand what follows. If the energy of each electron is E1 and one electron drops to a state below then shouldn't it only lose a portion of energy while leaving the other electrons energy unchanged?
Maybe I am thinking too clasically and should think of it as a total quantum system. But it is just weird for me that the electron can gain energy through the other jumping down - how is this energy transferred? (maybe too classical again) - and most importantly, why are we not considering the fact that the energy jump will cause a photon to be emitted like in the hydrogen case?

Attachments

• excited helium.png
    excited helium.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
When one electron jumps to the ground state it must give up energy in some way. One way is the emission of a photon. But in this problem it is assumed that the energy is given directly to the other electron causing it to be ejected. This is called the Auger Effect . I agree that the process is hard to imagine classically. (But so is the emission of a photon, to me anyway. :smile:)

Related to Solving the Mystery of Energy Transfer in Helium Atoms

What is the mystery of energy transfer in helium atoms?

The mystery of energy transfer in helium atoms refers to the question of how energy is transferred between the two electrons in a helium atom. This phenomenon, known as "electron correlation," is not fully understood and has been a topic of research for many years.

Why is it important to solve this mystery?

Solving the mystery of energy transfer in helium atoms is important because helium is the second most abundant element in the universe and plays a crucial role in many chemical and physical processes. Understanding how energy is transferred in helium atoms can lead to a better understanding of these processes and potentially improve our ability to control them.

What techniques are used to study energy transfer in helium atoms?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to study energy transfer in helium atoms, including spectroscopy, quantum mechanical calculations, and experimental measurements such as electron scattering. Each of these techniques provides valuable insights into the behavior of the electrons in helium atoms.

What has been discovered so far in the study of energy transfer in helium atoms?

Through years of research, scientists have discovered that the two electrons in a helium atom are highly correlated and their behavior is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics. They have also identified several possible mechanisms for energy transfer between the electrons, but the exact mechanism is still a subject of debate.

What are the current challenges in solving this mystery?

The main challenge in solving the mystery of energy transfer in helium atoms is the complex nature of the problem. The behavior of electrons in helium atoms is governed by quantum mechanics, which can be difficult to understand and model. Additionally, experiments to study these atoms are challenging and require advanced techniques and equipment.