Solving the Last Problem: Finding the Maximum Height

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum height of a ball thrown upwards at some velocity and caught 2 seconds later at a height of 10m on a building. The equations used include X_f=x_i+V_x(t)-(1/2)(9.8m/s^2)t^2 and f(t)=v_x(t)-(9.8m/s^2)t^2. The solution found the velocity of the ball to be 14.8m/s and calculated the maximum height to be 11.175m. There was a discrepancy in the expected distance the ball would fall in the remaining 0.5 seconds, but it was determined that the time used was rounded for checking the answer, leading to a
fisselt
Last problem I can't get around..

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown upwards at some velocity. 2 seconds later the ball is caught 10m up on a building. What is the highest possible height of the ball?

Homework Equations

X_f=x_i+V_x(t)-(1/2)(9.8m/s^2)t^2 (where X_f=10)
f(t)=v_x(t)-(9.8m/s^2)t^2 (set to 0)
X_f=x_i+V_x(t)-(1/2)(9.8m/s^2)t^2 (where t=1.5)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have X_f set to 10 and find the velocity of 14.8m/s. This means that the maximum height was 11.175m. This seems a little off as the ball should have dropped 0.05meters farther than the 1.175meters from my calculations. Am I making a mistake with the first equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
fisselt said:

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown upwards at some velocity. 2 seconds later the ball is caught 10m up on a building. What is the highest possible height of the ball?

Homework Equations

I have X_f set to 10 and find the velocity of 14.8m/s. This means that the maximum height was 11.175m. This seems a little off as the ball should have dropped 0.05meters farther than the 1.175meters from my calculations. Am I making a mistake with the first equation?

I like this equation (red above) - but you have not fully utilised it, since you were told X_f=10 when t = 2, so it is a simple calculation

Not sure what you mean. I find V_x to be 14.8m/s from this equation. Then, plug it into the second and set to 0 to find when the ball is stationary somewhere above 10m. Finally, I plug that time into the first equation again to find the height where V_x=0.

Maybe you can explain?

Thanks

fisselt said:
Not sure what you mean. I find V_x to be 14.8m/s from this equation. Then, plug it into the second and set to 0 to find when the ball is stationary somewhere above 10m. Finally, I plug that time into the first equation again to find the height where V_x=0.

Maybe you can explain?

Thanks

If you throw something up with a speed of 14.8 m/s, how high does it go?

I found that after 1.5 sec the velocity and force of gravity were equal. So, plugging that into the second equation I got 11.175 meters.

Maybe my answer is correct, but it just seems a tiny bit off from the distance traveled by a ball falling that remaining .5 seconds. It should fall 1.225m but I have only 1.175m from the top of the balls height to the 10 meters.

fisselt said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

On second reading of this, the only mystery I find is why you thought it should drop an extra 0.05 metres ?

fisselt said:

I found that after 1.5 sec the velocity and force of gravity were equal. So, plugging that into the second equation I got 11.175 meters.

Maybe my answer is correct, but it just seems a tiny bit off from the distance traveled by a ball falling that remaining .5 seconds. It should fall 1.225m but I have only 1.175m from the top of the balls height to the 10 meters.

Strange statement [red above]. That is like saying while riding my bicycle I found my speed and the reaction force from the saddle were equal?

EDIT: perhaps the idea that the ball was at maximum height after exactly 1.5 seconds was wrong?

I shouldn't have said equal but rather after 1.5 seconds the balls velocity succumbed to gravity and had 0 velocity.

Shoot, I figured my problem. I wanted to check my answer so I used .5 seconds of freefall equals 1.225m. Which I believe is true but the time wasn't exactly 1.5seconds. I didn't round it for my final calculation but for some reason I did for checking it. The ball is actually falling closer to 0.49seconds which is very close to 1.175m.

Thanks for the help.. sometimes just sitting down and thinking how to explain the problem helps figure it out!

Related to Solving the Last Problem: Finding the Maximum Height

1. What is the "last problem" and why is it important to solve?

The "last problem" refers to finding the maximum height of an object when thrown in the air. It is important to solve because it allows us to understand the motion and trajectory of objects, which is crucial in fields such as physics and engineering.

2. How can the maximum height of an object be calculated?

The maximum height can be calculated using the equation h = (v02sin2θ)/(2g), where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors can affect the maximum height of an object?

The maximum height of an object can be affected by the initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Are there any real-world applications for solving the maximum height problem?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for solving the maximum height problem. For example, understanding the maximum height of a projectile can help engineers design more efficient and accurate weapons, or help athletes improve their performance in sports such as javelin throwing or long jump.

5. What are some limitations of the equation used to calculate maximum height?

The equation used to calculate maximum height assumes a perfect projectile motion, without taking into account factors such as air resistance, wind, and external forces. It also assumes a constant acceleration due to gravity, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.