Solving the Initial Velocity of a Box: Homework Woes

In summary, the larger box (B) has a higher initial velocity due to the higher coefficient of kinetic friction.
Goozombies

Homework Statement

A UPS delivery man pushes a 5kg box (A) along a smooth surface where the coefficient of kinetic friction, [µ][/k], is equal to 0.20. The box slides for 1.5m before colliding with a 3kg box (B). The boxes then move together as one unit on a rough surface with [µ][/k]= 0.9 for 0.8m. Determine the initial velocity of the larger box. This problem was on the test that I took today and I'm not sure if I got it correct, or not.

Homework Equations

∑F=ma
[F][/fric]=[µ][/k][F][/N]
v[f]^2=v[0]^2+2aΔx
p=p'
g=9.8m/s[2]

The Attempt at a Solution

∑F[y]=m[A]a[y]
F[N]-F[G]=0
F[N]=F[G]=m[A]g=(5)(9.8)=49N
F[fric]=(.2)(49)=9.8N
∑F[x]=m[A]a[x]
F[fric]=(5)a[x]
a[x]=1.96m/s[2]
v[f]^2=v[0]^2+2aΔx
0=v[0]^2+2(1.96)(-1.5)
v[0][smooth skid]=2.42m/s =v
∑F[y]=m[A+B]a[y]
F[N]-F[G]=0
F[N]=F[G]=m[A+B]g=(5+3)(9.8)=78.4N
F[fric]=(.9)(78.4)=70.56N
∑F[x]=m[A+B]a[x]
F[fric]=(5+3)a[x]
a[x]=8.82m/s[2]
v[f]^2=v[0]^2+2aΔx
0=v[0]^2+2(8.82)(-.8)
v[0][A+B][skid]=3.75m/s=v'
p=p'
m[A]v[A]+mv=(m[A]+m)v'
(5)v[A]+(3)(2.42)=(5+3)(3.75)
v[A][beg skid on rough]=4.56m/s
v[f]^2=v[0]^2+2aΔx
(4.56)^2-2(1.96)(-1.5)=v[0][A]^2
v[0][A]=3.86m/s (or something close to that.)

I'm pretty sure I got this one wrong. I wonder how much partial credit I'm going to get...

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid I would give no credit because your working is unintelligible. You need to make it much easier for others to follow:
- use latex, or at least proper super/subscripting
- define your unknowns
- use unique labels for unknowns
- keep all the working symbolic, only plugging in numbers at the final step
- be prepared to write some words to describe what you are doing along the way

I'm still working out how to subscript/ superscript.

Goozombies said:
I'm still working out how to subscript/ superscript.
The easy way is to select the text to be shifted and click the X2, X2 symbols above the text area.
Using latex, type a pair of hash symbols (#), then the latex text, and another pair of hash symbols to return to normal text. Within the latex, use _ for subscript and ^ for superscript. E.g. x_1 y^2 becomes ##x_1 y^2 ##. If multiple characters are to go in the shifted text, bracket using { and }. So x_{final} becomes ##x_{final}##.
You can also develop a more complex latex string using the Latex Preview button. This opens up a region for you to type the latex in (including the hash symbols), then you can click Show Preview to see how it will look. If it's not right, edit the text and click show again. When happy with it, copy and paste into the post body.
If someone else posts latex and you want to see how they did it, right click on it, and Show Math As-> Tex Cmds. You can copy and paste out of the window that comes up.

I've attached a word document with my solution. I have no idea what the correct answer is.

Attachments

• Physics help.docx
    16.3 KB · Views: 162
Goozombies said:
I've attached a word document with my solution. I have no idea what the correct answer is.
It may be because I use OpenOffice, not Word, but the algebra is completely missing when I open it.

So what do you see when you open it?

Goozombies said:
So what do you see when you open it?
As far as I can tell, all the text except any algebra.

How about having another go at posting in the usual way (not as an attachment), using the subscripts and superscripts.
Since you are trying to find an initial condition, run the problem backwards. What must the speed be just after the collision?

Related to Solving the Initial Velocity of a Box: Homework Woes

1. How do I calculate the initial velocity of a box?

To calculate the initial velocity of a box, you will need to have the mass of the box, the distance it travels, and the time it takes to travel that distance. Then, you can use the formula v = d/t, where v represents velocity, d represents distance, and t represents time. Plug in the values you have to solve for the initial velocity.

2. What units should I use when solving for initial velocity?

When solving for initial velocity, it is important to use consistent units. The units for distance should be in meters, the units for time should be in seconds, and the units for velocity should be in meters per second.

3. Can I use the initial velocity to solve for other variables?

Yes, the initial velocity can be used to solve for other variables such as acceleration or time. However, you will need to have at least two out of the three variables (initial velocity, acceleration, and time) in order to solve for the third variable using the appropriate formula.

4. What if I don't have the time it takes for the box to travel?

If you do not have the time it takes for the box to travel, you will not be able to accurately solve for the initial velocity. In this case, you may need to use other methods such as measuring the distance and velocity at different points in time, or using a video analysis tool to track the box's movement.

5. Is there a specific method or formula for solving initial velocity?

No, there is not a specific method or formula for solving initial velocity. The method and formula used will depend on the information and variables given in the problem. However, the general formula v = d/t can be used in most cases to solve for initial velocity.