Solving the ideal gas law for moles

In summary: R=8.31 J/(mol*K), and at the surface, the gas constant is R=8.31 J/(mol*K). so n=PV/(RT)= (2.5)(6)/(8.31*(37+273)) = 0.005823
jaded18
Suppose Gabor, a scuba diver, is at a depth of 15 m. Assume that:

1. The air pressure in his air tract is the same as the net water pressure at this depth. This prevents water from coming in through his nose.
2. The temperature of the air is constant (body temperature).
3. The air acts as an ideal gas.
4. Salt water has an average density of around 1.03 g/cm^3, which translates to an increase in pressure of 1.00 atm for every 10.0 m of depth below the surface. Therefore, for example, at 10.0 m, the net pressure is 2.00 atm.

If the temperature of air in Gabor's lungs is 37 Celsius and the volume is 6 L, how many moles of air n must be released by the time he reaches the surface? Let the molar gas constant be given by R = 8.31 J/ (mol*K)
Now I know that the difference between this and the moles of air in the lungs that I calculate at the surface pressure gives me my answer but how do I know what the conditions are at the surface? am I just approaching this problem in an incorrect way?? Thanks in advance..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
his lungs don't change is size, and neither should his body temp. also, check your units carefully

ah ok i get it

Last edited:
no i don't get it. i get n=0.006 at the depth of 15 m but my units are atm*L*mol/J when I use the formula n=PV/(RT). what do i do? so at the depth of 15m, i got p=2.5 atm, V=6L, R=8.31 J/(mol*K), T=37+273 K, and the surface, p=1 atm, V=6L, R=8.31 J/(mol*K), T=37+273 K. i can't use the 1 mol=22.4 L rule because conditions are not "standard pressure and temp"

Last edited:
the equation you used was n = PV/RT

T is in kelvin, P is in either atmospheres or mmHg, and volume is in litres. make sure that your values have these units.

that's what i had. but I'm NOT getting the right answer. i will spell what i did out
@ 15 m --> n=PV/(RT)= (2.5)(6)/(8.31*(37+273)) = 0.005823
@surface--> n=PV/(RT) = 1(6)/(8.31*(37+273)) = 0.002329
you said that temp stays the same and volume stays the same, correct? then why am i not getting the right ans? I get 0.00349 atm*L*mol/J when I should be getting my ans in moles, am i not right?

i believe that you have the incorrect units for the pressure. in addition your final units should be in moles

no, you said that p should be in either atm or mmHg, I DO have it in atm. 2.5atm at 15 m, got from (15m(1atm/10m)+1atm) and 1atm at the surface. help anyone? maybe you meant pascuals...

Last edited:
oh... you meant the universal gas constant! ok, thanks

Related to Solving the ideal gas law for moles

1. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of an ideal gas under various conditions, including pressure, volume, temperature, and the number of moles of gas present.

2. How do you solve the ideal gas law for moles?

To solve the ideal gas law for moles, you can rearrange the equation to solve for the number of moles (n). This can be done by dividing both sides of the equation by the gas constant (R) and then multiplying by the inverse of the temperature (T).

3. What is the gas constant (R) in the ideal gas law?

The gas constant (R) is a universal constant that relates the properties of an ideal gas. Its value depends on the units used for pressure, volume, and temperature. In SI units, the value of R is 8.3145 J/mol·K.

4. How does changing the pressure and volume affect the number of moles in the ideal gas law?

According to the ideal gas law, changing the pressure and volume of an ideal gas at a constant temperature will not affect the number of moles present. This is because the number of moles is directly proportional to the pressure and volume.

5. Can the ideal gas law be used for real gases?

The ideal gas law is an approximation that is most accurate for gases at low pressures and high temperatures. For real gases, corrections must be made to account for intermolecular forces and the volume of the gas molecules. However, the ideal gas law can still be used as a good approximation for many real gas systems.