Solving the Dirac Equation for the Hydrogen Atom

In summary, the person is asking for websites that provide information on the relativistic treatment of the hydrogen atom using Dirac's Equation. They clarify that they are not looking for the method using Schrodinger's equation and perturbations. The person also mentions not finding anything interesting on this subject through a Google search.
go quantum!
Would someone tell me some website where I can find the relativistic treatment of the hydrogen atom using Dirac's Equation? I am not trying the find the method which uses Schrodinger's equation and adds as perturbations fine and hyperfine structures?

Thank you. So far i have not find anything interesting about this subject in google.

Physics news on Phys.org
go quantum! said:
So far i have not find anything interesting about this subject in google.

What did you try searching for? For me, Dr. Transport's link comes up third in a Google search for "solving the dirac equation for the hydrogen atom". Your post comes up first. :biggrin:

Related to Solving the Dirac Equation for the Hydrogen Atom

1. What is the Dirac equation and why is it important in the study of the hydrogen atom?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of spin-½ particles, such as electrons. It is important in the study of the hydrogen atom because it takes into account the effects of special relativity and provides a more accurate description of the electron's behavior than the non-relativistic Schrödinger equation.

2. How is the Dirac equation solved for the hydrogen atom?

The Dirac equation can be solved using a method known as separation of variables, where the solution is expressed as a product of functions of different independent variables. In the case of the hydrogen atom, the solution involves a combination of spherical harmonics and radial functions.

3. What are the main differences between the solutions of the Dirac equation and the Schrödinger equation for the hydrogen atom?

The solutions of the Dirac equation have four components, corresponding to the four possible spin states of the electron, while the solutions of the Schrödinger equation have only one component. Additionally, the solutions of the Dirac equation have a lower energy bound, known as the Dirac sea, which is not present in the solutions of the Schrödinger equation.

4. How does the Dirac equation explain the fine structure of the hydrogen atom's energy levels?

The Dirac equation takes into account the spin and magnetic moment of the electron, which interact with the external magnetic field created by the nucleus. This interaction results in a splitting of the energy levels, known as the fine structure, which is not explained by the Schrödinger equation.

5. What are the implications of solving the Dirac equation for the hydrogen atom?

By solving the Dirac equation, we are able to obtain a more accurate description of the behavior of the electron in the hydrogen atom. This has implications not only for our understanding of the atom, but also for other areas of physics, such as quantum field theory and particle physics, where the Dirac equation is used to describe the behavior of other particles.