Solving the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction for a Sliding Pig

In summary: MkIn summary, the problem asks for the coefficient of kinetic friction between a pig and a slide based on the time it takes for the pig to slide down a 35 degree slide compared to a frictionless 35 degree slide. The equation fs = Mk * Fn can be used to solve this problem. To find the component of the net force parallel to the incline, the kinematic relationship between time, distance, and acceleration can be used. It is also helpful to draw a free body diagram and label all the forces. The solution for the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.53.
Shatzkinator

Homework Statement

A slide-loving pig slides down a certain 35 degree slide in twice the time it would take to slide down a frictionless 35 degree slide. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the pig and the slide?

Homework Equations

fs = Mk * Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure how to tackle this one =(

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Find the component of the net force that acts parallel to the incline.

Perhaps examine the kinematic relationship between time distance and acceleration?

x = 1/2*a*t2

Hootenanny said:
HINT: Find the component of the net force that acts parallel to the incline.

I don't understand how to do it, I'm only given the 35 degree angle. Also the answer isn't given in the back of the book so I couldn't know if I did it right even if I did have te correct procedure.

Shatzkinator said:
I don't understand how to do it, I'm only given the 35 degree angle.
Okay. I suggest you start by drawing a free body diagram, labelling all the forces.

Hootenanny said:
Okay. I suggest you start by drawing a free body diagram, labelling all the forces.

I have tried this... I still don't know what to do. Can you please show me the solution?

I got 0.53 as my Mk.. please let me know if this is right.

That's what I get.

3/4*tan35

Related to Solving the Coefficient of Kinetic Friction for a Sliding Pig

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in motion. It is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the force of friction to the normal force between the two surfaces.

2. Why is it important to solve for the coefficient of kinetic friction for a sliding pig?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is important to solve for a sliding pig because it helps us understand the amount of friction acting on the pig as it slides. This information can be useful in designing structures or devices that involve sliding pigs, such as pig pens or pig races.

3. How can the coefficient of kinetic friction be determined for a sliding pig?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be determined by measuring the force required to keep the pig sliding at a constant speed and the normal force exerted on the pig. By dividing the force of friction by the normal force, the coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated.

4. What factors can affect the coefficient of kinetic friction for a sliding pig?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be affected by factors such as the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants. Additionally, the weight and shape of the pig can also impact the coefficient of kinetic friction.

5. How can the coefficient of kinetic friction be reduced for a sliding pig?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be reduced by using smoother surfaces, applying lubricants, or reducing the weight of the pig. Additionally, changing the angle or surface of the slide can also affect the coefficient of kinetic friction.