Solving the Basic Mechanics Bullet Block Collision Problem

In summary, the block and bullet move 1134 meters. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and surface of the table is 0.2.
Arm
Homework Statement
A bullet with a mass of 5.0 g is fired horizontally into a 2.0 kg wooden block which is
resting on a horizontal table. The bullet stops in the block and the block and bullet
combination move 2.0 m. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and
surface of the table is 0.2. Find the initial speed of the bullet.
Relevant Equations
$$ KE = \frac{mv^2}{2} $$
$$ W = \Delta E = F * distance $$
$$ F_friction \le F_N * \mu $$
$$ g = 10 $$
$$ \frac{5E-3*v^2}{2} = (2 + 5E-3)(10)(0.2)(2) $$
v = 56.64
I just don't get how this is the wrong answer....it's just simple conservation of energy, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Arm said:
Homework Statement: A bullet with a mass of 5.0 g is fired horizontally into a 2.0 kg wooden block which is
resting on a horizontal table. The bullet stops in the block and the block and bullet
combination move 2.0 m. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and
surface of the table is 0.2. Find the initial speed of the bullet.
Relevant Equations: $$ KE = \frac{mv^2}{2} $$
$$ W = \Delta E = F * distance $$
$$ F_friction \le F_N * \mu $$
$$ g = 10 $$

$$ \frac{5E-3*v^2}{2} = (2 + 5E-3)(10)(0.2)(2) $$
v = 56.64
I just don't get how this is the wrong answer....it's just simple conservation of energy, right?
Energy is not conserved. The bullet deforms the block and generates heat in the process. It an inelastic collision. Also, friction is doing non-conservative work on the block. Linear Momentum is conserved immediately before and after the collision.

Likes Arm
erobz said:
Energy is not conserved. The bullet deforms the block and generates heat in the process. It an inelastic collision. Also, friction is doing non-conservative work on the block. Linear Momentum is conserved immediately before and after the collision.
$$ (5E-3)(v_1)=(5E-3+2)(v_2) $$
$$ \frac{1}{2} (5E-3+2)({v_2}^2)=(5E-3+2)(10)(0.2)(2) $$
$$ v_2 = 2.83 $$
$$ (5E-3)(v_1)=(5E-3+2)(2.83) $$
$$ v_1 = 1134 $$
thanks

Likes erobz
Arm said:
$$ (5E-3)(v_1)=(5E-3+2)(v_2) $$
$$ \frac{1}{2} (5E-3+2)({v_2}^2)=(5E-3+2)(10)(0.2)(2) $$
$$ v_2 = 2.83 $$
$$ (5E-3)(v_1)=(5E-3+2)(2.83) $$
$$ v_1 = 1134 $$
thanks
For future reference that notation is difficult to parse. Just leave it all variables next time. I kept thinking you were taking 5 times some quantity ##E## subtracting random numbers!

Also final numerical answers without units are meaningless. If I told you that I make two million a year, you might think I live on easy street. Not so fast. If the units of the two million is Ugandan shillings, that translates to $500.00 USD waaaay below the poverty line.

Likes erobz

Related to Solving the Basic Mechanics Bullet Block Collision Problem

1. What is the basic mechanics bullet block collision problem?

The basic mechanics bullet block collision problem is a physics problem that involves the collision of a bullet with a stationary block. It is used to demonstrate the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy.

2. How do you solve the basic mechanics bullet block collision problem?

To solve the basic mechanics bullet block collision problem, you need to use the equations for conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. First, you must calculate the initial and final velocities of the bullet and block, as well as their masses. Then, you can use these values to solve for the unknown variables.

3. What is the difference between conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy?

Conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after a collision. This means that the total mass times velocity of the system remains the same. On the other hand, conservation of kinetic energy states that the total kinetic energy of a system remains constant before and after a collision. This means that the total mass times the square of the velocity remains the same.

4. What are some real-life applications of the basic mechanics bullet block collision problem?

The basic mechanics bullet block collision problem has many real-life applications, including car crashes, sports collisions, and even billiards. It is also used in engineering and design to test the impact of objects and materials.

5. How can I check if my solution to the basic mechanics bullet block collision problem is correct?

You can check your solution by making sure that the total momentum and total kinetic energy before and after the collision are equal. Additionally, you can compare your solution to known values or use simulation software to see if your results are accurate.