Solving Tension of a Wire Problem

In summary, the problem is that the student is trying to find the tension in a system where the weight and the wire are both supporting the mass. They need to restudy their equilibrium equations and figure out how to find the torque.
dzidziaud

Homework Statement

This is actually a sound wave problem, but I think I'll be fine when I actually get to that part; my issue is that it is a cumulative problem that involves torque, which I haven't had practice with since the fall. It's embarrassing how little I remember how to do from just a few months ago. Can you look at what I'm doing and make sure I'm heading in the right direction?

Problem:
A thin wire of mass m and length l is suspended between two beams of mass M and length L that are attached to the ground with hinges as shown in the figure. The system is symmetric such that the wire is horizontal and the two beams each make an angle θ with the ground.
The problem then asks for the frequency and various other things that I'll know how to do if I get the tension right.
I couldn't figure out how to copy or attach the figure, but this system basically forms a trapezoid with the top (the wire) being longer than the bottom, so the wire is holding up the two beams.

The Attempt at a Solution

The mass of each beam is being supported in part by both the ground and the wire, so I tried to find each of these components to get the mass being supported by just the wire to get the tension.
cosθ = masshorizontal / masstotal
And the horizontal component will give me the tension, right? And the length of the beam L needs to be relevant somehow, so I figure that the tension needs to come from the torque, so I multiply by L. And since there are two beams, I also multiplied by 2 to give me:
tension = 2MgLcosθ
Is that at all correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
No figure attached.

I know; I described it instead. It is a trapezoid with a longer top than bottom. I guess I should also say that θ is each outside (acute) angle that the beams make with the ground.

You need to restudy your equilibrium equations, as you presently are just taking a stab in the dark. Try looking at one beam only and draw a free body diagram of it if you remember how. The tension force acts horizontally at the top, the beam weight acts down at its mass center, and there are horizontal and vertical reaction forces at the hinge. Use the 3 equilibrium equations to solve for the unknowns. Remember Torque is force times perpendicular distance to pivot, or use cross product rule.

PhanthomJay said:
You need to restudy your equilibrium equations, as you presently are just taking a stab in the dark. Try looking at one beam only and draw a free body diagram of it if you remember how. The tension force acts horizontally at the top, the beam weight acts down at its mass center, and there are horizontal and vertical reaction forces at the hinge. Use the 3 equilibrium equations to solve for the unknowns. Remember Torque is force times perpendicular distance to pivot, or use cross product rule.

Ah. The clockwise torque should equal the counterclockwise torque. Would counterclockwise be MgL? And clockwise would be... the tension? That seems much too simple. :(

dzidziaud said:
Ah. The clockwise torque should equal the counterclockwise torque. Would counterclockwise be MgL? And clockwise would be... the tension? That seems much too simple. :(
Sorry to leave you hanging dz*dz*
Torque is force times perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to the pivot. The weight force, mg, acts through the center of gravity of the beam, downward, through its midpoint. Draw a straight vertical line throught that force extending downward to the base level. That line is the 'line of action' of the weight force. Then you can get the perpendicular distance from that line to the pivot using simple trig...prove to yourself that the perpendicular distance is (L/2)(cosΘ), and thus the torque is (mg)(L/2)(cosΘ), ccw.
Now using the same principles, determine the cw torque of the tension force about the pivot. Set cw torque = ccw torque, and solve for T.

Related to Solving Tension of a Wire Problem

What is the tension of a wire?

The tension of a wire refers to the force that is pulling or stretching the wire. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

How is the tension of a wire calculated?

The tension of a wire can be calculated using the formula T = F * L, where T is tension, F is the force applied to the wire, and L is the length of the wire. Other factors such as the material and diameter of the wire may also affect the tension calculation.

What factors affect the tension of a wire?

The tension of a wire can be affected by various factors such as the force applied, the length and diameter of the wire, the material of the wire, and external forces such as gravity or wind. Temperature changes can also impact the tension of a wire.

How can the tension of a wire be adjusted?

The tension of a wire can be adjusted by changing the force applied to the wire, altering the length or diameter of the wire, or using a different material for the wire. Additionally, external supports or anchors can be used to manipulate the tension of a wire.

Why is it important to solve for the tension of a wire?

Knowing the tension of a wire is crucial in many practical applications such as construction, engineering, and physics. It allows for the proper design and use of wires to ensure their safety and effectiveness in various tasks and structures.