Solving Tension in Simple Pendulum at Centre Point

In summary, the conversation discusses the value of tension in a simple pendulum when it is at the center. The tension must provide the centripetal acceleration and acceleration due to gravity at all times. There is a mention of an individual named Aldrino, who has a solid point and is not liked by one of the participants. The conversation ends with an apology for a spelling mistake and a question about who Aldrinos are.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum is oscillating. When it is at the centre, what is the value of tension in string?

Homework Equations

The tension= The weight= mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Am i right? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course it is. :) You are damn right!

No, you are NOT correct.
At all times, the tension must provide the CENTRIPETAL ACCELERATION of the attached mass as well.

Gyroscope said:
Of course it is. :) You are damn right!
aldrino has a solid point! :)

Last edited:
arildno said:
No, you are NOT correct.
At all times, the tension must provide the CENTRIPETAL ACCELERATION of the attached mass as well.

oh yes. as well as the acceleration due to gravity. isn't it? now the force must be greater than mg.

Quite so! :smile:

arildno said:
Quite so! :smile:

Thanks a lot!

I'm not an aldrino. Please, I hate aldrinos. :frown:

arildno said:
I'm not an aldrino. Please, I hate aldrinos. :frown:

Oh! I am sorry. just a spelling mistake. Who are aldrinos, by the way?

Related to Solving Tension in Simple Pendulum at Centre Point

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that is free to swing back and forth. It consists of a mass, known as the bob, attached to a fixed string or rod.

2. What is the centre point of a simple pendulum?

The centre point of a simple pendulum is the point at which the string or rod is attached to the pivot point. It is the point where the pendulum swings back and forth in a straight line.

3. How do you measure the tension in a simple pendulum?

To measure the tension in a simple pendulum, you can use a scale or a force sensor. Attach the device to the string or rod at the centre point and take a reading while the pendulum is at rest. This will give you the magnitude of the tension in the string.

4. Why is it important to solve for tension in a simple pendulum at the centre point?

The tension at the centre point of a simple pendulum is crucial for understanding the motion and stability of the pendulum. It affects the period and frequency of the pendulum's swing, as well as its potential energy. Solving for tension at the centre point allows us to accurately predict and control the behavior of the pendulum.

5. What factors can affect the tension in a simple pendulum at the centre point?

The tension in a simple pendulum at the centre point can be affected by the length of the string or rod, the mass of the bob, and the acceleration due to gravity. Any changes in these factors can alter the tension and therefore impact the motion of the pendulum.