Solving Tension in Rope for Homogeneous Rod

In summary, the downward force at point C is equal to FC and the downward force at point B is equal to FB.
Norway

Homework Statement

rqs7VTB.png

I'm sorry, I'm not the best in English, but I'll try to translate it.
A homogenous rod with length 5.0 m and mass 40 kg, is connected to a pole at 70* at point A.
The rod is held in place with a rope that makes 50* with the pole, and is connected to the rod 1.0 m from the end of the rod.
Determine the tension in the rope.

Homework Equations

ΣF=0, ΣM=0

The Attempt at a Solution

We are four people with four different answers... No one knows what anyone does wrong.. Here are two of the attempts:

https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/13318902_10153565646742256_817010534_n.jpg?oh=2310dc35b8b9d18a5df00a2adf8fb79a&oe=5750883C

https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/13336307_10153546169760759_1312148898_n.jpg?oh=a90f8bf982bd9246081fd2d8bb251203&oe=57506221

Physics news on Phys.org
I would like to make some suggestions, but without labels on the diagram, it becomes awkward to do this.
In the diagram, label he point where the rope attaches to the rod as B.
Label the center of gravity of the rod as C.
What is the downward force FC at point C?
What is the downward force FB at point B?
What is the component of FB in the direction that stretches the rope?

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
I would like to make some suggestions, but without labels on the diagram, it becomes awkward to do this.
In the diagram, label he point where the rope attaches to the rod as B.
Label the center of gravity of the rod as C.
What is the downward force FC at point C?
What is the downward force FB at point B?
What is the component of FB in the direction that stretches the rope?

Thanks for replying!
We have denoted FC as 40 * 9.81 N = 392 N, just simplifying the distributed mass as an average in the middle.
But this would be the total downward force for the entire rod, so that would mean no other downward force for the rest of the rod, including in FB. I get a little confused of this.

Norway said:
Thanks for replying!
We have denoted FC as 40 * 9.81 N = 392 N, just simplifying the distributed mass as an average in the middle.
But this would be the total downward force for the entire rod, so that would mean no other downward force for the rest of the rod, including in FB. I get a little confused of this.
That's all valid.
Of the two images you attached, I cannot follow the logic in the first one.
The second method is correct and obtains the right answer.

Likes Norway
Hi Norway:

I apologize for being careless with my use of language.
The rod is not moving. The left end of the rod is held fixed by its touching the vertical post. If the rope was not attached the rod would fall, rotating clockwise.
The tension in the rope at B exerts an angular upward force in the direction along the rope. This force balances the force FC so that the rod does not rotate.

The clockwise torque on the rod at C balances the counter-clockwise torque at B.

I hope this helps better.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes Norway
Thank you both very much! We got it now :-)

Related to Solving Tension in Rope for Homogeneous Rod

What is tension in rope?

Tension in rope refers to the force that is pulling on the rope from both ends. It is caused by the weight or load that is being applied to the rope.

Why is it important to solve tension in rope for homogeneous rod?

It is important to solve tension in rope for homogeneous rod because it allows us to understand the distribution of forces and make sure that the rod is strong enough to support the weight or load without breaking.

What is a homogeneous rod?

A homogeneous rod is a rod that has uniform composition and properties throughout its length. This means that the material and structural properties of the rod are the same at every point along its length.

What factors affect the tension in rope for homogeneous rod?

The factors that affect the tension in rope for homogeneous rod include the weight or load being applied to the rod, the length and thickness of the rod, and the material properties of the rod.

How can tension in rope for homogeneous rod be solved?

Tension in rope for homogeneous rod can be solved using various mathematical equations and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion and equations for static equilibrium. It can also be solved experimentally by conducting tests and measurements on the rod under different conditions.