Solving tan(theta)=2/5 - 2.62 radians

In summary, the conversation discusses using trigonometry to solve a problem involving complex numbers. The speaker is unsure of how to solve it and initially looked for the solution in a solutions manual. They mention trying to use the arctan function, but it gives them a decimal. The other person suggests checking if their calculator is in degrees or radians.
Elitegamer

Homework Statement

The tan(theta)=2/5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I forgot how, I had no clue so I looked in the solutions and it was 2.62 radians, I just don't know how they got that, I am not sure on what to do. Its for trigonometric forms of complex numbers.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have a calculator or something?
Usually that's the way to solve a problem like this, unless you want to iterate it...

Whats do i type in? A friend told me to do the arctan of 2/5 but that just gives me some decimal.

Is your calculator in DEG? if not, then put it in RAD

Related to Solving tan(theta)=2/5 - 2.62 radians

What is tan(theta)?

Tan(theta) is a trigonometric function that represents the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side in a right triangle. It is commonly used to calculate angles and sides in geometric problems.

How do I solve an equation with tan(theta)?

To solve an equation with tan(theta), you can use inverse trigonometric functions such as arctan or tan^-1. First, isolate tan(theta) on one side of the equation. Then, use the inverse function on both sides to find the value of theta.

What is the value of theta in this equation?

The value of theta in an equation with tan(theta) can be found by using the inverse trigonometric function, as mentioned before. For example, in the equation tan(theta) = 2/5 - 2.62 radians, the value of theta can be found by taking the arctan of both sides, which gives us the value of approximately -1.252 radians or -71.77 degrees.

How does this equation relate to triangles?

This equation relates to triangles because it involves the trigonometric function tan(theta), which represents the ratio of two sides in a right triangle. By solving this equation, we can find the angle theta in a triangle given the ratio of its sides.

Can this equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, this equation can have multiple solutions. In this case, there are infinitely many solutions since the tangent function is periodic. This means that there are multiple angles that can have the same tangent ratio, resulting in multiple solutions for theta.