Solving systems of linear equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving linear equations and finding the general solution and two particular solutions. However, it is concluded that there is only one unique solution and the possibility of an error in the problem statement is mentioned.
Panphobia

Homework Statement

x + 3y + z = 4
2x + 2y + z = -1
2x + 3y + z = 3

Find the general solution, and two particular solutions.

The Attempt at a Solution

y = 4; x = -1; z = -7; if I am not mistaken. So how am I supposed to find a general and two particular solutions if there is only one solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Panphobia said:

Homework Statement

x + 3y + z = 4
2x + 2y + z = -1
2x + 3y + z = 3

Find the general solution, and two particular solutions.

The Attempt at a Solution

y = 4; x = -1; z = -7; if I am not mistaken. So how am I supposed to find a general and two particular solutions if there is only one solution?

You can't. There is only one solution. Must be an error in the problem statement.

yeah there is only one unique solution.

Related to Solving systems of linear equations

1. What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of two or more equations that involve two or more unknown variables. The goal is to find the values of the variables that satisfy all the equations in the system.

2. How do I solve a system of linear equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of linear equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. The most efficient method depends on the specific equations in the system and personal preference.

3. Can a system of linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have one, infinite, or no solutions. One solution means that there is a unique set of values for the variables that satisfy all the equations. Infinite solutions indicate that any set of values that satisfy one equation will also satisfy the others. No solutions mean that there is no set of values that satisfy all the equations.

4. What is the importance of solving systems of linear equations?

Solving systems of linear equations is crucial in many fields, including science, engineering, economics, and physics. It allows us to find the relationship between variables, make predictions, and solve real-world problems.

5. Are there any tips for solving systems of linear equations?

Here are some tips that can help you solve systems of linear equations more efficiently:

• Start by isolating one variable in one of the equations.
  • Choose the most straightforward method for solving the system.
  • Check your solution by plugging in the values into each equation.
  • If you get stuck, try graphing the equations to get a visual representation of the system.