WindowsME Spool Error: Causes and Solutions

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary, the conversation discusses a common issue of a spool error message in Windows ME that causes applications to fail and the system to hang. One solution suggested is to adjust the printer settings to print after the last page has spooled. Another suggestion is to upgrade to Windows 2000 or go back to Windows 98. The issue may also be caused by faulty RAM or a compatibility issue with an anti-virus program. It is recommended to use Windows 2000 or XP, but for older games that can only run on Windows ME, the free AVG anti-virus is recommended. The spooler error is not caused by the anti-virus program, but it may conflict with the spooler. Trying the suggested fix may
Saint
When i booted into my windowsME, it often had a spool error message, after that your applications tended to fail and windows hanged!

what happened? how to resolve it ?:frown:

Computer science news on Phys.org
one common issue related to that is a compatibility issue with your Anti virus program. This causes a conflict with your windows spooler.

Go into your printer properties, then spool settings, then select option to print after last page has spooled. See if that works.
Windows ME blows. Upgrade to win2k or go back to 98.

And try what I'm suggesting, I'm a tech.

Last edited:
If there is a lot of application/OS failures, it could be the RAM in your machine is faulty?.

btw: You should really be using win2000 or XP by now

I have some old RPG games can only run in windowsME.

My antivirus is the free AVG anti-virus

Originally posted by Saint
My antivirus is the free AVG anti-virus

The spooler error is is a windows 98/ME error, not AV. It's caused by any AV program being TSR and conflicting with the spooler. I'm not certain that this is your problem, but trying the fix can't hurt.

1. What is the WindowsME spool error and why does it occur?

The WindowsME spool error is a common issue that occurs when there is a problem with the spooler service, which is responsible for managing print jobs in Windows. This error can occur due to various reasons such as corrupt or outdated printer drivers, software conflicts, or issues with the print spooler itself.

2. How can I identify if the WindowsME spool error is causing my printing issues?

If you are experiencing printing problems and suspect that the WindowsME spool error may be the culprit, you can check the print spooler service by going to the Control Panel and selecting "Administrative Tools" and then "Services". Look for the "Print Spooler" service and make sure it is running. If it is stopped, try starting it and see if the issue is resolved.

3. What are some common solutions for fixing the WindowsME spool error?

One common solution is to update or reinstall the printer drivers. You can do this by going to the manufacturer's website and downloading the latest drivers for your printer model. Another solution is to clear the print queue, as a large number of print jobs can sometimes cause the spooler to crash. You can do this by going to the Control Panel, selecting "Devices and Printers", and then right-clicking on your printer and selecting "See what's printing". From there, you can cancel any print jobs that are stuck in the queue.

4. Is there a way to prevent the WindowsME spool error from happening in the future?

One way to prevent this error is to regularly update your printer drivers and make sure you have the latest version installed. Also, try to avoid installing conflicting software or making significant changes to your system settings, as these can also cause issues with the print spooler.

5. What should I do if none of the solutions work and I am still experiencing the WindowsME spool error?

If none of the solutions mentioned above work, you may need to consider resetting the print spooler. You can do this by going to the Control Panel, selecting "Administrative Tools" and then "Services". Find the "Print Spooler" service, right-click on it, and select "Restart". This will restart the print spooler and may resolve the issue. If the problem persists, you may need to seek further technical support.