Non-Lethal Weapons: What You Need to Know | PopSci

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the article discusses the usefulness of stun guns, tazer guns, and pepper spray in crowd control, but they are not very reliable and cannot be relied on to work in all situations. The article also mentions a flash unit that was unsuccessful in getting approval from doctors.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Popular Science online
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,12543,448832,00.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I suppose they are useful for law enforcement officials in situations of crowd control, but are useless as tits on a bull for the individual looking for protection. Stun devices especially.

Originally posted by Eh
I suppose they are useful for law enforcement officials in situations of crowd control, but are useless as tits on a bull for the individual looking for protection. Stun devices especially.

I didn't read the article, but Stun Guns would be useful for protection. You could only use it once and run, but still it offers some non-lethal protection, definitely useful for police though.

They aren't that useful, because they are not reliable. A stun gun can be used many times, as it's just some prongs with a battery. So it's not a ranged weapon. The problem is that it can often fail to function, especially in cold weather. Also, the thing can easily burn out, so it's not something you would want to carry, seeing as it could fail the moment you need it. The same applies to stun batons and such.

Of course there is the tazer, which usually gives you 2 shots. I don't know how reliable it is, but I would guess it would be along the same lines as a stun gun. But now they have developed liquid tazers, which shot out a liquid carrying a current. Great for crowd control, and you could have an endless supply ammo. But again, the issue of the failing electricity is the issue. A water gun alone is useless.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Eh
They aren't that useful, because they are not reliable. A stun gun can be used many times, as it's just some prongs with a battery. So it's not a ranged weapon. The problem is that it can often fail to function, especially in cold weather. Also, the thing can easily burn out, so it's not something you would want to carry, seeing as it could fail the moment you need it. The same applies to stun batons and such.

Of course there is the tazer, which usually gives you 2 shots. I don't know how reliable it is, but I would guess it would be along the same lines as a stun gun. But now they have developed liquid tazers, which shot out a liquid carrying a current. Great for crowd control, and you could have an endless supply ammo. But again, the issue of the failing electricity is the issue. A water gun alone is useless.

I'm reading a review of a stun-gun and it guarantees 100% reliability.

Also those stun-gun/pepper spray combo's offer 100% reliability. I think a cell phone stun-gun would be the best choice, personally.

I meant you would only get one use out of a stun-gun because you would leave it there so they couldn't pursue you.

For crowd control I like the bean bag ammo. Most effective, riot gear and batons:smile:

100% guarantee, eh? Sounds like an empty promise. Bring one of them up north in the winter and see they survive the cold. They are fun toys, but I wouldn't want one as a weapon.

I tried to get a flash unit on the market some years ago. The idea was to produce a flash much greater than an old camera; thus temporarily blinding an attacker. I was definitely able to create a fair amount of dazzle - temporary blindness- but I could't get a doctor to back the thing as safe; too much liability. Oh well, there goes my lear jet.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
I tried to get a flash unit on the market some years ago. The idea was to produce a flash much greater than an old camera; thus temporarily blinding an attacker. I was definitely able to create a fair amount of dazzle - temporary blindness- but I could't get a doctor to back the thing as safe; too much liability. Oh well, there goes my lear jet.

Same concept as a flash bang or stun grenade without the deafening noise? I would imagine yours was less 'flashy' as flash bangs can blind, and I'm pretty sure if you would throw it directly on a person it could kill them.

100% guarantee, eh? Sounds like an empty promise. Bring one of them up north in the winter and see they survive the cold. They are fun toys, but I wouldn't want one as a weapon.

I tend to agree with you, it is unlikely it will work all the time in every condition, very few things would.

I think the issue with any weapon for the individual is the fact that before you can use any form of defense, you must first anticipate the attack.

I would think that attackers who advertise their presence are relatively rare; more often it's a "sneak up from behind" type of deal. In those situations, you would be hard pressed to effectively employ your defensive device without zapping/spraying yourself in the process.

However, the possession of the devices can boost confidence, and many crooks won't attack a person who appears confident. They look for the weak person...easy prey.

Of course, if you are walking through a "bad area" of town, you would keep a device in hand, which would help.

I guess my argument here is, most times you don't recognize the fact you are about to be attacked, but realizing that fact makes those devices useful.

Originally posted by Considering
I think the issue with any weapon for the individual is the fact that before you can use any form of defense, you must first anticipate the attack.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,58914,00.html [Broken]

Greetings !

I think I heard of a Chineese laser weapon a few
years back that blinds people. I think a cost
of something like 35,000 US dollars was mentioned.
Anybody wants to look for a link (I'm busy :wink:) ?

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by drag
Greetings !

I think I heard of a Chineese laser weapon a few
years back that blinds people. I think a cost
of something like 35,000 US dollars was mentioned.
Anybody wants to look for a link (I'm busy :wink:) ?

Live long and prosper.

ZM-87 perhaps?

forget about stunguns. for only about twice the price, you can get http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2535538058&category=undefined [Broken]

Originally posted by On Radioactive Waves
forget about stunguns. for only about twice the price, you can get http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2535538058&category=undefined [Broken]

Using a Tesla Coil, I've always wanted to make a human zapper - much like a high voltage bug zapper but used in doorways and on friends.

i would say that non-lethal weapons are good idea for self defense, let's say I am walking along and someone tries to attack me, i pull out a can and spray him with tear gas, or a stun gun and shock him, or baseball bat (could be classed as non-lethal) and whack him on the knees. this all work but means i can defend myself without resorting to guns or knives.

Don't make the mistake of thinking a stun gun or pepper spray is any match for a gun. If your attacker has on the those, you are screwed. Pulling out a stun gun will only make them angry.

in some cases i agree,but I've been attacked once by a guy with a gun but i managed to get my stun gun to connect with his groin and put him in a lot of pain, he dropped the gun and hobbled off, when i checked the gun i found it was a replica, some people will carry fake weapons and attack people with them knowing that must people won't fight back when faced with a weapon.

Originally posted by Eh
Don't make the mistake of thinking a stun gun or pepper spray is any match for a gun. If your attacker has on the those, you are screwed. Pulling out a stun gun will only make them angry.

I have a bit of a hard time believing this. I know someone who allowed a friend to hit him with a stun gun. He lost control of critical body functions [in his pants] and passed out. He seemed to be in no condition of be mad at anyone.

see my point exactly, stun guns, pepper spray,baseball bats, etc can be effective weapons though not lethal,(well the baseball bat could be lethal). its not the weapon that counts it is how good you are at using it

1. What are non-lethal weapons?

Non-lethal weapons are weapons that are designed to incapacitate or disable a target without causing death. These weapons use different types of technology, such as chemicals, sound waves, or electrical shocks, to temporarily immobilize a person.

2. How do non-lethal weapons work?

Non-lethal weapons work by affecting the nervous system, sensory organs, or motor functions of a target. For example, some weapons may use a chemical irritant to cause temporary blindness, while others use sound waves to disrupt balance and coordination.

3. Are non-lethal weapons safe?

Non-lethal weapons are generally considered safe, as they are designed to be less harmful than lethal weapons. However, they can still cause injury or death in rare cases, particularly if used improperly or on vulnerable individuals.

4. What are the advantages of using non-lethal weapons?

Non-lethal weapons offer several advantages compared to lethal weapons. They can be used in situations where deadly force is not necessary, such as riot control or self-defense. They also have the potential to reduce casualties and minimize collateral damage.

5. What are some examples of non-lethal weapons?

Some examples of non-lethal weapons include pepper spray, stun guns, rubber bullets, and tear gas. Other types of weapons, such as water cannons, acoustic weapons, and sticky foam, are also considered non-lethal alternatives to lethal force.